Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

HVAC blower not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default HVAC blower not working

Switch checked out good.
Removed blower and found this.

This is what can happen when you leave your truck parked under a pine tree for over a year.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So is that A BIRDNEST, RAT NEST, or just accumulated pine straw?

I know one fellow who left his in a barn for a couple of years and rats got into his and made a hell of a mess.

Was it sitting unused all that time?

Old 09-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It is not a nest, the fan has a center "bulge" on the squirrel cage part. The fresh air intake is directly above, just under the "wiper tray". Mine was full of leaves. When I re-did the "cabin air pollen filter" per the tech sticky, I cut an additional piece of the coarse filter material and shoved it into the slender space that is the top of the fresh air intake. Probably was not just parking, but also running down the road with the pine trees goin' by like slats on a picket fence...

Old 09-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is the blower from the truck that I had originally bought for parts and sold to my brother in law.
He couldn't see to go to work in the morning because he could not defrost the windshield.
The guy I went wheeling with, IHScouts fixed the blower for him.
The guy I bought the truck from drove it home and parked it very near a pine tree.
There it sat for a year or more.
So running the heater all of the pine needles just got to heavy for the motor to start up on its own.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

There were more needles in it than the picture Spike took. I put what was still together back in so we could take the pic. I had to tap the cage on the ground upside down a couple of times to get the wad of needles to come out. Packed very tight and too much weight for the motor to turn the fan. The speed select switch also needed tlc with some contact cleaner (which is common). I could hear the fan relay click at all four positions but zero air, no motor sound. One multiplug and three screws to drop motor from housing. Voila', motor readily spun on two positions, the other two will self clean after more switch action. The two that didn't work would if the select switch was pushed in. It's a really weak spring to hold the select switch against the linear contact plus the motor is high amp and it pits the contacts. I've had mine all apart when I bought my truck, it was loosing the highest speed (4).

Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep, when running well the blower acts like a shop vac and sucks in what ever is just below the wipers.