Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

If your stereo won't recognize your CD player....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts
Default If your stereo won't recognize your CD player....

I read where another participant (2Panther) could not get his head unit to recognize his cd player. I also had the same problem so I sent a PM asking him to share the info if he figures it out.

A couple of days later 2Panther replies to my PM and tells me that, after a careful reading of the owners manual, it appears that a second fuse is involved in the CD player and to check fuse #12. Sure enough fuse 12 was blown. Slap in a new fuse and now my CD player is functional again! (which also means I can move forward with my scheme to add iPod functionality)

So, if you head unit won't recognize your CD player, check fuse 3 AND fuse 12.

Thanks 2Panther!

The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (09-21-2016)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up! Soooo kind of on topic, care to elaborate on how your gonna add an iPod input? I am thinking about doing the same thanks in advance!

Last edited by lifeguard17; 04-11-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: I have GOT to learn how to type
Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Welcome

Now if it will only be as easy to get my front sunroof and left passenger window to open.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Lifeguard17,

There was a rumor that inside our Pioneer-made head units there might be a test port. Upon opening mine, I could not find one so....

The basic idea is to make the head unit believe a CD is playing, but 'steal' the audio lines and inject output from iPod/phone. You won't have control at the dash or anything, but I'm simply looking for good sound.

I've made a small project box with switches which will allow me to change from CD input to ipod input. It has RCA inputs on it and a female USB which will carry power. Then a simple wire with USB/R+L Audio X iPod connector will carry the sound to the project box and power to the iPod. I've bot an extra CD data cable and made some other 13 pin connectors/cables so that I'll be able to remove it if I need. All very modular. Soldering those 13 pin connectors is a royal pain in the ***. You can make it as complex or simple as you want but the basic idea of 'detouring' the audio is the same.