Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Interesting Serpentine Belt Routing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearw
This is less about the belt snapping than the associated parts breaking (that caused the belt to fail...
This. If the belt tensioner isn't maintained the bearing can fail and send the pulley grenading through the belt and oil filter.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is the correct route, some routes get WP going backwards, or alternator (won't make reverse voltage, but reduces cooling to windings).

If you print it out, it can be attached with clear plastic shipping tape under the hood as reference in case SWMBO takes it to a shop.

Attached Thumbnails Interesting Serpentine Belt Routing-serpentinediagrc_d_90.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-03-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
This. If the belt tensioner isn't maintained the bearing can fail and send the pulley grenading through the belt and oil filter.
Thanks, fishEH and nuclearw, for clarifying. Above is prolly the Forum post that I read. I was worried that parts might go flying due to belt failure, but couldn't remember exactly why or which ones. I'm still learning . I was thinking some part could hit/crack the radiator. But, maybe my subconscious remembered the pulley might grenade into the huge Purolator L40316 oil filter and cause more probs/cost than just doing the serpentine belt/tensioner/idler pulley repair ? Haha.

Also, thanks to ihscouts, S.Buzz, fishEH, and nuclearw for various posts on chirping noise (on FlaRover thread) b/c, as suggested, failing brakes parts (rotors, pads...even calipers) also were contributing to my Dscvry's problem/noise. Vehicle needs an indy mechanic to repair it, but I'll be driving safely again soon, which makes me very happy .

And, someday, when mechanical/driveability/safety repairs give me a break, I'll replace the passenger side catalytic converter and clear code P0430 and the CEL, and continue with a valid inspection sticker on my trek to the 200,000mile club . Just call me a dreamer...

Old 11-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Here is the correct route, some routes get WP going backwards, or alternator (won't make reverse voltage, but reduces cooling to windings).

If you print it out, it can be attached with clear plastic shipping tape under the hood as reference in case SWMBO takes it to a shop.
Yep, thanks, S.Buzz. I printed diagram from "Atlantic British Tech Tips" last wk (10/27) after reading bigelectron's thread "Interesting Serpentine Belt Routing" and members' related posts. Bigelectron posted a photo of his belt routed incorrectly and the AB diagram of the correct routing. In advance of your post of today, I did use your suggestion to discuss/show diagram to shop; great minds must think alike ! Taping diagram under hood is good idea; another member posted that he sketched routing in visible area under hood using Sharpie marker. Thanks, big electron .

Thanks to antichrist (Tom Rowe), jimvw57,Tom R, and fishEH for their helpful posts on the BHamms thread (10/22). Antichrist made great sense in statement, "Just try a new belt, you should be keeping a spare in the vehicle anyway." I gotta do that ! He also discussed the alternator bearing and the tensioner pulley bearing; all which helped point me in right direction.

It's much easier to deal with/plan out/budget repairs when I have a clue what type of repair I am facing (mechanical, safety, driveability, emissions, etc.) and a way to estimate parts/labor costs vs. DIY approach. Thanks again, S. Buzz.

If I missed thanking anyone, please let me know. All the input and observations help.