Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

KYB Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The ones you have picked are not what you want on a Disco.
First, exactly what lift and coil part numbers are you running?
If you want good shock, assuming you are wanting to play off road, look at the OME Sports shock or the Iron Man new gas or foam shock. If you had a lot more lift I would say the Bilstein but you would not benefit from them at their cost.
That's a pretty blanket statement to make based upon very little information. Each of the companies he mentioned will have shocks that suit his needs, many of which will have different grades of shocks available as well.
The OME shocks are OK, and just OK. But they're pricey and have some of the worst travel out there. There are lots of shock options but for a basic lift and not crazy offroading I think your best bet is the Terra Firma +2" shocks. Then again, people's opinions of shocks are just an opinion.
I had the OME Nitro's on my 2" RTE lift. I just switched over to Rancho 9000's. Got 4 for less than $300 shipped. The ride is less harsh with the Rancho's. Have onlt had them snow wheeling so far. The ones I got(11.25" travel) won't work with a stock set up, though.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. I think Im gonna go with TF.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
That's a pretty blanket statement to make based upon very little information. Each of the companies he mentioned will have shocks that suit his needs, many of which will have different grades of shocks available as well.
The OME shocks are OK, and just OK. But they're pricey and have some of the worst travel out there. There are lots of shock options but for a basic lift and not crazy offroading I think your best bet is the Terra Firma +2" shocks. Then again, people's opinions of shocks are just an opinion.
I had the OME Nitro's on my 2" RTE lift. I just switched over to Rancho 9000's. Got 4 for less than $300 shipped. The ride is less harsh with the Rancho's. Have onlt had them snow wheeling so far. The ones I got(11.25" travel) won't work with a stock set up, though.
This is all true!! Go Terrafirma +2 "Pro-sport" shocks from Justin at Lucky8.

I have Fox shocks valved for a Disco.. Awesome shocks so far but havent had a chance to beat on them yet.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went TF big bore expedition. They are stout!!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did some research about this same subject a while back. My personal opinion is either go super cheap or go all out, the in between stuff is just a waste of money because most mid grade shocks still perform like bottom of the barrel stuff.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bingo

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
I did some research about this same subject a while back. My personal opinion is either go super cheap or go all out, the in between stuff is just a waste of money because most mid grade shocks still perform like bottom of the barrel stuff.
I agree.

I have OME Nitro's on my D1 because I scored them used and dirt cheap - they have been good on/off road for someone who's never off-roaded before and has nothing to really compare with!

On the other hand, I went the cheapest possible route on my wife's D2 because it's a pavement queen and we were short on funds - I think I got All Makes from Justin @ Lucky8 - he might not appreciate that people know that! LOL He doesn't advertise that he will sell such cheap junk, but he will and I'm glad he did - didn't have much funds at the time!

They've been fine for street and fit my exact needs: new shocks at cheapest price to hold the Rover over till I'm ready to get a full kit.