Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lift Kit Shock Absorbers RESCUE PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Long Haul
Use some channel locks or pipe wrench to hold the shock body from turning while you loosten the nut. The shock is garbage since it pulled apart they are not rebuildable.

Also how mutch for the engine fan blade shipped to 17566?
Thanks Long Haul! The most useful info
I purchased both the channel lock pliers and a decent pipe wrench though I ended up only using the pipe wrench in conjunction with a regular wrench and ratchet set. Despite the loss of the front passenger shock absorber I was able to successfully remove the remainder of the front end lift kit (spings and shock) and have begun removing the rear end portion of the lift. Ill have it entirely removed mid day tomorrow.

Ill have to get back to you regarding the engine fan, i was hoping to sell the engine "whole" but we will see.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,499 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Can you post a better picture of the rod end. I think from the video the shock might not have been defective.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Can you post a better picture of the rod end. I think from the video the shock might not have been defective.
The rod end? Ill just snap afew shots from different angles of the now broken shock and upload them for ya. Work for you? Ill take the pics in the morning then upload them midday or night tomorrow.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,499 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Once I see the pics I'll know for sure, it's strange if I'm right though...

Old 08-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Here are the pics.

Name:  IMAG0038.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  190.5 KB
Name:  IMAG0039.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  108.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0040.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  64.8 KB
Name:  IMAG0053.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  82.6 KB
Name:  IMAG0054.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  44.6 KB
Name:  IMAG0055.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  86.3 KB

Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How old is the TF suspension? I put mine in and haven't had any issues with it yet. I mean the only issue that I have currently is just a slight drive shaft vibration. But it seems to be functioning just fine shocks/springs are medium duty.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by errose2002
How old is the TF suspension? I put mine in and haven't had any issues with it yet. I mean the only issue that I have currently is just a slight drive shaft vibration. But it seems to be functioning just fine shocks/springs are medium duty.
I don't believe its more than 2 years old at the most. Furthermore I have had NO issues with the lift at any point while it was installed. In fact I was quit satisfied with the performance of the lift while I was riding along one of New York City's "less maintained" roadways (The Bronx) - was going about 60-65 mph in the middle lane surrounded by other vehicles when I ran over a HUGE pothole that I could not avoid. I swerved abit but all in all everything stayed together just fine (Tires held, springs, shocks and alignment all held). It was my front passenger side tire that hit the pothole! I honestly thought i popped my tire but I pulled into a gas station and check everything and all was good so I continued my trip to Pennsylvania then all the way back to New Hampshire! Personally I cannot say anything bad about TerraFirma. The ONLY issue arose while I was screwing off the upper nut on the shock tower. Did not know it at the time but the upper portion of the shock was turning with the nut on the tower so essentially I "un-screwed" the shock absorber. Hints why no physical damage exists where the threading is. The indents on the shell of the shock are merely a result of my "venting some anger with a multi-purpose hammer after the fact. That's why a pipe wrench is highly recommended when removing a shock absorber! Using the pipe wrench to hold the shock in one position while you unscrew the nuts holding the shock to the body! One more lesson learned the hard way.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Banned

On a second note when I get my Disco 2, I plan on trying out "Old Man Emu" complete suspension system! I've heard alot of good about them, in particular some new sport edition or something to that effect.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of surface corrosion on them.

You say you basically unscrewed it?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
A lot of surface corrosion on them.

You say you basically unscrewed it?
Yes the kit does have some surface rust. This particular shock WAS left outside on the ground for afew days despite afew rain showers so that dident help any. Yes these shock apparently screw on/off.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Shock Absorbers RESCUE PLEASE!!!