Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lift Kit Shock Absorbers RESCUE PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Look at the corrosion on the threads in your picture. That greatly increases the force required to break the existing torque of the mated fasteners.

The corrosion actually forms a molecular bond between those two metal surfaces greatly increasing the physical bond. Left together long enough, you get molecular migration where the two original surfaces are no longer separate surfaces but have become one.

Using a penetrating oil or chemical penetrant such as PB Blaster relaxes this molecular bond and greatly reduces the force required to break the torque and reduces damage and stripping of fasteners........
Yeah Danny that makes sense. Probably should have invested in some CRV Freeze-Off super penetrant or PB Blaster but I was kinda in a rush and a little excited about removing the lift. Still the pipe wrench worked good on the remaining 3 shocks with no damage to the shock barrel. So for future reference (IE: when I get my Disco series 2 + Old Man emu Suspension) what should I used on the threading of the shocks prior to installing them? There's gotta be some sort of high temp lubricant ideal for this type of work. I would like to prevent "molecular bonding"... I do have some AmsOil high temp lubricant but would like a second opinion on its application to shock absorbers.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

NeverSieze works reALLY WELL ON ALMOST ANYTHING THREADED TO MAKE LATER DIS-ASSEMBLY EASIER.