Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lights Flashing - Keyless Remote inop

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lights Flashing - Keyless Remote inop

My '97 Discovery just started flashing all the outside lights (hazard lights) - except the headlights. Someone slammed the door and it just started flashing the lights and the keyless remote stopped working.
- I thought it might be a security feature responding to the slammed door.

I ruled out the Hazard light switch since it still turns on and off - and I replaced it. When I turn it on the indicator light flashes saying the hazards are operating so that circuit is obviously good, however the outside lights keep flashing whether the switch is on or off.

How do I fix this?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured it out: I guess a sensor responded to the slammed door and activated the lights and disabled the handset - kind of like an accident response - but without the horn sounding (indicated in the RAVE manual).

Just for the hell of it, I tried the old key reset routine - turned on the key and turned it to B (run) and back to A (on) two times (do not turn all the way to Start) - the lights stopped flashing and the handsets worked again. Simple - if you guess right and get lucky. Not simple if you try researching the answer.

Could NOT find this in any manual or forum - symptoms were very different from what was written and the solution was not offered anywhere. The engine still ran and the horn didn't sound - it stunk having to drive it home with the lights flashing.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad you figured it out.
Thank you for letting us know the fix.