Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Looking For An Idea Of What I'm Getting Into

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow ngarover I appreciate your explanation and thats exactly why I asked. I simply wondered if he was having me pull it due to an annoying light or a better reason and now I'm alive. My buddy who works for the biggest litigation law firm in South Carolina is really interested in this now by the way as he reads over my shoulder.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jacumja
Wow ngarover I appreciate your explanation and thats exactly why I asked. I simply wondered if he was having me pull it due to an annoying light or a better reason and now I'm alive. My buddy who works for the biggest litigation law firm in South Carolina is really interested in this now by the way as he reads over my shoulder.
No problem, it's personally happened to me AND my wife with the kids in the car... so it's something I like to point out to others.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The reason I said to pull the ABS fuse is just like Nagrover said...so you can stop.
My wife almost plowed into the back of a stopped school bus 3 years ago, the fuse was pulled that night after I got home from work and has been out ever since.
Used ABS modulator...http://www.roverlandparts.com/1996-1...modulator.aspx
Wheel speed sensors
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC1750.cfm
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC1749.cfm

Old 01-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Team Owner

thanks man it looks like i'm going to have a nice little sunday, gonna work on the rover maybe go to home depot. I don't know if we'll have enough time.
You're my boy Blue!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Mudding

I should just yank that p.o.s out and use the proceeds to pay for a tune up the hell with that. I got a lot of women to live for.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Team Owner

I should just yank that p.o.s out and use the proceeds to pay for a tune up the hell with that. I got a lot of women to live for.
Now THAT is the proper attitude.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Mudding

I decided to test the diff lock this evening on a trail. Yeah whoever dreamed up that diagram needs to be neutered. That is not how a man would simplify a diff lock mechanism engaging thinga madooger. It worked but I worked up a sweat trying to get it back unlocked. Out of curiosity why not just make it simple like a manual tranny or a 4 lo/ 4high shifter. Hell my 4runner had push button locker. I think I'll leave that alone from now on.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

If you do not "exercise" the CDL shifter once a month it will seize and you will never beable to use it.
I think it's pretty simple to use, shift the transmission into neutral, move the CDL lever into whatever gear you want, shift back into drive.

When you are done shift back into neutral, shift the CDL back into 4-hi-unlocked and then back into drive.
The light on the dash goes out and you are good to go.

Anything push button means there is a clutch involved as well as a couple of switches.
The Land Rover transfer case shifter is a good old reliable linkage moving good old reliable gears.
Pretty hard for anything to go wrong.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Mudding

I get why they didn't make it push button. I also get that it must be in neutral. I just don't understand why I had to turn the point of the **** between 7 o clock and 11 Oclock when going to High and then back to 3 oclock to get it to go back into 4 high unlocked. I also had to force the hell out of it and make like a figure 8 to get it to go anywhere. I'm guessing the p.o. never used which is why it was so hard for me to use. I'll make a habit out of engaging it and disengaged a few times a day until it loosens up, hopefully.

Last edited by jacumja; 01-30-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The CDL is never used because the rover can just about climb MT. Everest without it, however if you find yourself stuck with 3 wheels off the ground or really deep mud, it may just help you out. as for the ABS fuse, just another horror story, I pulled mine the same day my family and I almost rolled out into a Very busy road, had to go into the curb and on the sidewalk to stop us! pulled the stupid bulb in the dash the day after.

on a side note, if you have any electronics questions I may be able to answer them for you.

Quick Reply: Looking For An Idea Of What I'm Getting Into