Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Looking For An Idea Of What I'm Getting Into

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you force it you will damage the little pieces that it is comprised of unless you are very very lucky. If you click on the link in my signature, you can see lots of detailed pics of how bad mine was and what it took to fix it.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys does it matter if I use the Magnacorrs or not. They don't carry those locally for me but they do have the "manufacturer's spec ones" which worries me.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the OEM wires will work fine, but they won't last nearly as long(same with $25 brake pads on our trucks), the aluminum engine radiates a lot of heat and breaks down the wires, inferior wires will just break down quicker is all. I had a mechanic once explain to me that higher quality parts that cost twice as much are only better if they last twice as long, and I am sure many of the guys on here may just agree that the Magnacores will do just that. But if money is tight or time is a concern (as they both often are for me) then do what is best for you!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the ProLine wires from Rovers North. They were about half the price of the Magnacors, they are heavier diameter than stock and have worked great. I personally am very satified with them. I also did not force them into the original plastic guides since the guides were so tight I was concerned about damaging the insulation on the new larger diameter wires.

My 97 had what appeared to be the original LR wires. One came apart right at the rubber boot when I was changing them out. The new ones are great and they were only about 50 bucks or so. Good fit as well.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Mudding

I ended up just grabbing the manny spec wires. Changed the oil out with Rotella and a cheap filter and swapped plugs and wires, also swapped out air filter, cleaned the maf and the throttle didn't clean the pcv (wasn't sure of what that was and didn't have enough sunshine to waste researching it) and didn't change to fuel filter for the same reason. I would still like to. Also the service engine light is still on so I guess I wasted money on the plugs and wires thinking that would solve the (misfire on cylinder 1 issue) any thoughts on whats next to try?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you go back to autozone and clear the code after you did this? I find that the CEL will stay lit even after the repair until the stored code is cleared. Go clear it, and see if it comes back. Does the truck run, feel any different since you put the plugs and wires? you should have noticed a change if that was the issue.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ngarover
Did you go back to autozone and clear the code after you did this? I find that the CEL will stay lit even after the repair until the stored code is cleared. Go clear it, and see if it comes back. Does the truck run, feel any different since you put the plugs and wires? you should have noticed a change if that was the issue.
X2 - I saw/heard/felt an immediate difference, but CEL light did not go off until I cleared the codes after the work - and then, like a wife who met a millionaire, it did not return.