Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

looking at an overheating 96 Disco auto tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The sleeve issue seems to be indicated by a "tick", plus overheating. The head gasket may leak and not show dramatic power loss, once leaking will increase over time normally. HG won't usually wait 30 minutes to show up, in many cases makes gurgle sounds under dash as gas bubbles pass through heater valves and hoses. Perhaps you could get him to allow you (at your expense) to do the combustion gas in the coolant test (a test kit is about $50 at auto parts store, and will do like 16 tests), or have an indy mechanic inspect (and he can do the test). Or coolant system pressure test.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ruggles:

Buy it if you meet the following requirements:

1. You have plenty of disposable income.
2. You have plenty of free time and need something to do to keep you entertained.
3. It is OK if it sits for long periods of time without the ability to be driven.
4. You have plenty of disposable income.
5. It does not matter it it does not run for long periods of time.
6. You already have a good daily driver.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Ruggles:

Buy it if you meet the following requirements:

1. You have plenty of disposable income.
2. You have plenty of free time and need something to do to keep you entertained.
3. It is OK if it sits for long periods of time without the ability to be driven.
4. You have plenty of disposable income.
5. It does not matter it it does not run for long periods of time.
6. You already have a good daily driver.
7. Your significant other lets you do whatever you want.
8. Your neighborhood association won't care if it's parked in pieces in the driveway.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol to the last two posts. Actually my wife hates me working on cars and I have to boys under 4 but you know what? *** it I love doing it. I am seeing it tomorrow or friday. I'll let y'all know if I buy it or what I find. It sure looks clean though

Old 09-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IT IS EASY TO MAKE ONE LOOK CLEAN.

I WOULD RATHER HAVE ONE THAT LOOKS BAD BUT RUNS GOOD RATHER THAN ONE THAT LOOKS GOOD AND RUNS BAD IF AT ALL.

GO AHEAD AND BUY IT, IT WILL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO DO FOR A LONG LONG TIME.

MOST OF ALL, HAVE FUN DOING IT. IT WILL KEEP YOU ENTERTAINED.

If I did not have mine, I would probably drink and run around with wild women lots more than I have done lately, and my wife really hates it when I do that. But you just got to have something to do when you have lots of free time.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy it buy it buy it. Or a different one if you find one. I beat on mine for 9 yrs and am fixing her up this year. It's been a rewarding and draining experience.

The little kids thing is interesting. 4 is too young but I've been telling my 10 yr old that we can rebuild (with help) a truck for his first vehicle. I'm teaching myself to be patient now and show him stuff even tho he's not ready. He'll catch on and hopefully we can have a "shade tree" mechanic in the family. Two four year olds seem dangerous.

Funny thing is the kids love my truck. I have everything removed from the inside..headliners, plastics, etc. except the front seats and jumpers. They think it's the coolest thing...they don't look twice at their parents spanking new LR and Porsche SUV's.

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 09-03-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: blatant poor spelling