Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Major Electrical Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Check the ground (also called Earth) Connections

My 97 and lots of other people's Discovery Ones have intermittent start issues primarily due to degraded (corroded) factory connections primarily for the Starter to Frame and the Battery to Frame connections.

I am about to buy these, I have already done a fix by merely cutting off the existing lug at the starter to frame connection, crimping on a new lug and using a self-drilling body bolt to terminate to a new spot ofn the frame. I used a dremel deburring bit to scuff the frame to bare metal fr intimate contact. But I am sure the following link is a much better fix and well worth the investment.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...-cables-38870/

This will eleminate the grounds for the starter and the battery as potential sources of the problem. Good electrical troubleshooting is no more than a sequential elemination of potential root causes.

Does your Dad work for Boeing by any chance?

One other reccomendation is to get a creeper and a good light and do a detailed inspection front to back top to bottom inside and out. Look for leaks, corrosion, and other tell tale signs of problems that exist or are developing, do not wait for it to break down before you fix it. Preventative and regular maint are much cheaper in the long run.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, you will find, most electrical problems are actually caused by some sort of mechanical problem when you finally get down to the root cause. If you don't think so, ask your Dad.