Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Making progress on my 98 Disco!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Yep, in a previous life working with hondas, we told a guy that his pressure hose was leaking, and it runs right over the exhaust manifold. About a month later, it burned down his house starting in the garage.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a rebuld kit and its on its way. Refer to my other thread for an update on my progress with the power steering gearbox. SOrry guys.

Disco 1 power steering gearbox rebuild kit?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Mudding

I wish you luck with rebuilding that steering box. I had this same problem on my 99 D1. After much research, found that rebuilding would be more time consuming and possibly not fix the problem with the sector shaft seals. I decided to replace the box completely. Looked around at different websites to see who had the best deal on a rebuilt steering box and found recommendations for Meridan out of San Diego, CA.

Meridian Auto Parts sells Steering, Air Conditioning and Air Induction

Ordered the box, was pretty cheap compared to other rebuilts i found and it's been working great these past 2.5 years without an issue at all. I'd highly recommend that since you're removing the steering box that you change all of your hoses as they are probably the original hoses that came with your truck. This will give you better peace of mind in the long run. I didn't do that and ended up changing all the hoses one by one as they began to leak. Also, change your hose clamps at the same time to prevent leaks as well.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned
Smile Update progress with pics

Well my cell is fixed and I'm back online! I took afew pics of the projects im currently working on.

Here's the new rear driveshaft I bought from roversnorth. It did NOT come with the nuts and bolts so Gotta order them this week. I'll need to use a grease gun to grease the shaft and joints. I'll be using some amsoil multi purpose synthetic grease which I also just bought from roversnorth.

Name:  IMAG0025.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0027.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  22.3 KB

Here's the old power steering gearbox that I removed cleaned and attempted to dissasemble.

Name:  IMAG0028.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  27.8 KB

Here is where the fluid actually leaks from

Name:  IMAG0030.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  30.2 KB

I spent 2 days cleaning out all the built up grease, fluid sludge, and dirt.

Name:  IMAG0014.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  52.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0015.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  50.2 KB

Finished installing the fuel filter. I had to pry back the ring which holds the filter in place, bolts were to rusted and 1 stripped.
Name:  IMAG0012.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  34.8 KB

Here's the punctured fuel line. First applied plenty of black hose tape, then afew layers of duck tape, then installed a rubber hose over the hole area, then installed 5 ring clamps then finally used gorilla glue to seal of the hose. Haven't started the engine yet but I'm hopeful this will correct the small fuel leak in the line until I get a replacement line.

I sawed off then ends of the brush guard and am in the process of reinforcing the remaining push bar, sandblasting and sealing up the holes.
Name:  IMAG0018.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  39.5 KB

Got the headlights reinforced temporary until I get the new mounts. Still need to get the blinker/headlight lower bezel pieces. The blinker need something to sit on. And eventually I'm going to replace the entire passenger side fender inside and out!. Oh and still need replacement grille as this one is broken.
Name:  IMAG0019.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  43.0 KB

And finally I gave her a little polishing She's almost ready for the road again!!! Can't wait.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned
Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 97 DI with less than 120K on it. My fuel lines had totally rusted from thetank to the engine bay/ fuel rail. Every place where the line sat in a factory clamp, the clamps and line corroded to the point of becoming one. Same for the fuel filter. The clamp corrode away and the body of the filter perforated.

To fix it, I bought a 25 foot coil of 5/16 fuel line at Advance Auto for around 25 bucks. I had an in-line fuel filter on hand for another vehicle I had sold. I removed all the existing lines and filter. Started at the rear opening where the fuel pump installs and fed the line down from the rear cargo area to underneath, crawled under pulled a few more feet thru, shaping and routing the new line along the main frame. I relocated the new fuel filter away from the wheel well along the main frame using rubber fuel line to tie the filter to the new line and kept going until I was at the engine bay. cut the existing hose and clamped to the new line. Repeated the process for the return line.

This is labor intensive but go price new pre-formed fuel lines and see how much you will pay! You cannot use rubber all the way because that will not pass inspection.

I will be surprised if your patch holds up for very long when the gas hits it. How much did you spend doing the patch? Steel tubing coil is the way to go for a trustworthy repair at an affordable price.

I am an old war vet living on Social Security and a minute pension getting thru life with a CRAZY EYE. So I have to find the cheapest fix possible to maintain my Discovery. (Private Joke)

If you want to see pics just click on the link in my signature, please ignore the laundry in the background, I also do the washing for my 5 grandkids in the same space I do repairs to my Discovery, since I cannot afford a better workspace. (Another Private Joke).

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-29-2011 at 09:05 PM.