Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Many Questions in 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
I'm about to use some 3m rubberized undercoating on my interior. mainly because i pull a lot of euipment in and out. shoudl be done in a week or two depending on weather. i will let you know how it goes, but my understanding is it should make no difference especially if you use something like an undercoating which is made to sound dampen and insulate.

+1 with the smittybilt shackle and reciever best $30 you can spend

+1 on some M/T's if you are on a budget i reccomend www.treadwright.com
So let's say I just get the retread and tell the family they are new..
Should I get some wheels for the tires to go on? Like have my current set for Daily Driving use and the mud tires for Off-roading? I think it's illegal to use retread tires on a vehicle that isn't farming or a trailer right?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:37 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
So let's say I just get the retread and tell the family they are new..
Should I get some wheels for the tires to go on? Like have my current set for Daily Driving use and the mud tires for Off-roading? I think it's illegal to use retread tires on a vehicle that isn't farming or a trailer right?
If the retreads are DOT approved, then they can be used on any vehicle on any road, unless your local government passed some stupid law forbidding them(like some states say no studded tires.Idiots)

Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
If the retreads are DOT approved, then they can be used on any vehicle on any road, unless your local government passed some stupid law forbidding them(like some states say no studded tires.Idiots)
Yes, except the steering axle of a commercial vehicle.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

your family will never know they are retreads. its not like there is a wad of glue hanging off the sidewall or something. they look like brand new tires.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Pro Wrench

CHeaper too!

So mud or a/t? I mean I understand a/t suck in mud but do mud suck on a/t? And will my gas milage suck? remember this is my DD and I need my gas price to be low xD

Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 PM

and environmentally friendly!

go with a set of A/T's i have the guad dogs which are M/T's and they are great on the trails but i get a nice highway hum because of the wide grooves, which i dont mind the hum, but then my truck is not my daily driver so i wouldnt reccomend it to you. Your gas mileage is going to suffer either way because its the size of the tire but less so with the A/T because of rolling resistance. Besides you don't need to go mental yet, you have not even gone off road yet! go with the Puma or Axiom tread. not sure what size you are looking for.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Pro Wrench

235/85/16 prob, people seem to say it's the best

Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 PM

You are looking at $585 including shipping for 5 tires to your door.
http://www.treadwright.com/p-27-235-...iom-a-t-e.aspx

keep in mind that you will need to get someone to get your old tires off your current rims and get your new tires on and balanced. someone owed me a favor so i got it done for nothing...

Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
The Smittybuilt link is for "D" rings, those are used on a off road bumper, a trailer as a tie down, etc.
The JATE rings bolt directly to the frame, the frame is the most secure place to pull from because it ain't moving, if it does you have bigger problems.
NEVER EVER pull on the body itself.

Always pull on the frame.
Never the axles or suspension either, the FRAME.
Okay so maybe I really dumb question/clarification but the two holes on the bottom of my factory brush guard are not recovery points? I assumed they were, minus a couple of those d-rings. Haven't had the pleasure of trying to use them yet but don't wanna end up like the guy in your video.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
I PM'd AxeAngel for the rear shackle receiver.
I think I'm going to order a 3 ton shackle from CM for the rear. Does the receiver matter? If not I'm going to go to Trailer Transport and look at the shackle receivers they have.
I'd go with a 5/8" alloy like this one:
http://www.cmworks.com/SearchResults...&type=Standard
Probably the galvanized with painted pin.

Keep in mind when sizing, the size is based on the shackle material diameter, not the pin diameter. A 5/8" shackle will have 3/4" dia pin.

For the shackle receiver brand doesn't matter so much, but go with saolid not tube. I mentioned AxeAngel because his looks pretty nice and seems to be well made.

The brushbar should never be used for recovery.

Quick Reply: Many Questions in 1 Thread