Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Master Debaters...come one, come all!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my dizzy old 95, even though it has been nothing but a headache, it is fun to spend time with.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a mechanic who deals with the most technologically advanced automobiles on earth, Audi, on a daily basis it is no wonder why I chose the masterfully basic 95 Discovery for my main vehicle. Daily driver, off road toy, toy hauler, a goddess amongst the xerox Jeep's and Toyota's all of which underestimate her ability.

I have spent alot of hours performing needed maintenance on my baby and she has treated me in kind with reliable performance and miles of joyous adventure. As for comparing dizzy to coils, they both have their place in the D1 chassis. However dizzy parts are Way more reasonable.

As a footnote, I rarely ask opinion on repair of my D1 as I am very capable, I have to agree with cosmo. There are way too many repair requests and not enough accomplishment threads. I like to hear about fun stuff you have done with your D1. Cool mods, tips and tricks and photo's. We need WAY more photo's.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Actually I do have a clue
....My 96 rarely gave me any real issues. Heck the fuel pump waited until the car was parked in the garage to go out. I'd drive the wonderfully reliable 4.0L over the 3.9L any day
I must say I agree. My fuel '97 pump waited until I was in my neighborhood, on a downhill grade before it went out.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your opening post, Cosmic, you initially listed several areas in which you contest that those model years were superior. So far the only area which has really been discussed to any length is the engine management (ECM vs dizzy). I'm curious as to details on the other areas.

So far I have to agree on the principle of simplicity being desirable. I enjoy my heated seats, for sure, but I don't NEED them. I also have no problem with the idea of using a lever to adjust the seat vs a switch. But as it stands, I get switches, and a warm butt.

At work we have a big thing on the wall with a quote from Bill Lear:
"Strive for design simplicity. You never have to fix anything you leave out."
Or if you don't like that one, there is always Sikorsky's rule of design:
"Simplicate and lighten."

Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Echoing RoverChris, I have only owned my '97 Disco, so in terms of mechanical stuff, I have no experience with anything else. Now, as far as design is concerned, I feel strongly that the D1, and RRC are by far the most visually well-designed of the modern Rovers. Defenders are awesome, too, but there are so few here in the US that I consider them oddities--oddities that I would love to own.

Now, if I had to choose between a D1 and an RRC, I would go with an RRC because they just look better IMO.

Where I live (small island near Seattle) there are at least 4-5 RRCs, 1 Defender 110 RHD, numerous D1s and DIIs, a couple of nicely equipped D3s, and a handful of Series Rovers, I always get that "I want" feeling when I see an RRC rolling by.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by UpChuck
So far I have to agree on the principle of simplicity being desirable. I enjoy my heated seats, for sure, but I don't NEED them. I also have no problem with the idea of using a lever to adjust the seat vs a switch. But as it stands, I get switches, and a warm butt.
I periodically wonder what I'll do if the seat adjustment motor dies with the seat slid forward for my wife, when I then need to drive it, or vice versa.

I like the fact I can drain my swivel housings and flush them out without having to take them apart.

There are a couple more

Old 03-09-2011, 01:54 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
As a mechanic who deals with the most technologically advanced automobiles on earth, Audi, on a daily basis it is no wonder why I chose the masterfully basic 95 Discovery for my main vehicle.
Well, as a mechanic who deals with the most technologically screwed-up vehicles on earth, airport equipment, on a daily basis it is no wonder why I am crazy...Simple is good.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I periodically wonder what I'll do if the seat adjustment motor dies with the seat slid forward for my wife, when I then need to drive it, or vice versa.

I like the fact I can drain my swivel housings and flush them out without having to take them apart.

There are a couple more
similar situation, my wife drove the truck and slid the seat all the way up and actually broke my switch (not sure if she was just pressing to hard or what) I had to drive it like that for a day until I could get the seat switch pinout and short the pins to move it where I wanted it. I left the switches out since that day and now if anyone drives my truck they drive it where I like it!