Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Misfiring issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Misfiring issue...

This is driving me nuts! If I don't drive her a couple days or we have rain with a lot if humidity (which here if Florida is every day during the summer) she will misfire for about 10 minutes or so until she gets hot and just like that it stops. The ultra gauge is showing codes 1313 and 1314, Misfire bank a and b duh! I duct taped around cover of ECM but that wouldn't stop condensation build up. I was thinking of spraying everything done with soft seal, it's a moisture inhibitor used a lot in the marine field. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Old 07-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried corrosion block? I live in Pensacola. (the humidity capital of the world) I got this idea from a marine application here. I had a boat with twin volvo's that I had a miserable time with electrical contacts staying clean. I sprayed this on all of the Disco engine parts that were corroded. Pretty much eats the corrosion then seals it.

Attached Thumbnails Misfiring issue...-zoe_0021.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Nope, haven't tried that, soft seal is oretty much the same thing except it is for use before corrosion sets in. Probably get a can if that to have in hand though, I'm sure corrosion is lurking in there some where...

Old 07-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by HammerFit
Have you tried corrosion block? I live in Pensacola. (the humidity capital of the world) I got this idea from a marine application here. I had a boat with twin volvo's that I had a miserable time with electrical contacts staying clean. I sprayed this on all of the Disco engine parts that were corroded. Pretty much eats the corrosion then seals it.
Probably get a can to have on hand, I'm sure corrosion is lurking in there some where. Soft seal is pretty much the same thing except its for use before the corrosion sets in.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Rock Crawling

It said duplicate post every time I tried to post and I thought it wasn't posting and for some reason using the mobile app I can't delete.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Misfire in humid conditions

Originally Posted by FLA Rover
This is driving me nuts! If I don't drive her a couple days or we have rain with a lot if humidity (which here if Florida is every day during the summer) she will misfire for about 10 minutes or so until she gets hot and just like that it stops. The ultra gauge is showing codes 1313 and 1314, Misfire bank a and b duh! I duct taped around cover of ECM but that wouldn't stop condensation build up. I was thinking of spraying everything done with soft seal, it's a moisture inhibitor used a lot in the marine field. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
8mm Magnacore spark plug wires. My misfires were due to the spark shorting THROUGH the wire to the block, worse when humid. ECM was not affecting mine...

Old 07-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar issue that turned out to be coils arcing. I used CRC Wire Drier on my coils and haven't had a problem since.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bcbp
I had a similar issue that turned out to be coils arcing. I used CRC Wire Drier on my coils and haven't had a problem since.
Did you pull them or spray in place?

Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLA Rover
This below of course this is after you inspect the boot condition on each wire on the coil. ground a light probe and wave slow against each boot. watch for jumping spark over each wire boot. worst case you may find you have a bad coil on each side. Inspect the condition of each plug port of each coil where the spark plug boot connects to. start here first. Then Pull plugs individually to see oil soaked... this is another journey ...Oil leaking through intake will emulate semi fowled plug and miss on that plug until fuel burns off the oil.

Just more than misfire, I would disconnect the exhaust from manifolds cold and start the truck and see if you still miss. You may have bad/plugged cats. This code is often thrown by poor operation of the O2 sensors down stream from AICV and fuel temp sensor. Remove and soak O2 sensors over night in brake parts cleaner.

Have you had transmission removed recently? you could have bent tines on your flywheel from removal of the 4 bolts holding the torque converter causing intermittent pickup from the crank sensor located lower driver side of the block. just a thought!

Last edited by raeuspius; 07-16-2014 at 05:01 PM.