Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My 2" Lift install experience.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The passanger side thing was a mistake, i edited it within minutes. sorry for the confusion. You would think that TF would include some sort of instruction with the springs.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
The passanger side thing was a mistake, i edited it within minutes. sorry for the confusion. You would think that TF would include some sort of instruction with the springs.
No kidding... Blows my mind.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tired tightening the bolt? Sometimes when I can't loosen a bolt I tighten it a little and it helps break the seal.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Mudding

Ok so a quick update.. Everything is installed..

I developed some vibration after installing the lift and steering stabilizer. My steering wheel was also off center.

First I thought i would try an alignment to see. It didn't help (and my steering wheel still isn't perfect, better but still pulls to the left)

What is odd though is he was saying my rear right wheel toe was quite a bit off. I realize the rear toe isn't adjustable but he seems to think my axle is bent. Here are my readings hoping to get some opinions. This Land Rover non adjustable suspension is new to me. I was shocked when he said the only thing adjustable was the front toe.

Front Left
Caster 1
Camber
-1/2◦
Toe 0.00"

Front Right
Caster 1 3/16
Camber -5/16
Toe 0.00"

Rear Left
Camber -3/32
Toe 0.05"

Rear Right
Camber -3/32
Toe -0.40"

Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Pro Wrench

After my lift, it felt like my steering was all over the place. My mechanic told me that I would need an alignment after the lift so I went and did it. It was greatly improved....but does it pull a little right? Is the wheel looking like it is "flexing"? I think so. I have yet to put it on the highway as I have a new engine problem but I'm working thru these things too. The alignment guy never mentioned anything about the Rover "attributes" you mentioned above but I'm looking into it.

I had no instructions either and other than the Lucky8 synopsis there isn't enough info online.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Mudding

Mine pulls to the left a little as well. As for the vibration, well I too developed a slight vibration after the lift and have yet to resolve it.

I did the following to try and resolve:

1. Installed new U-Joints prior to installing lift.
2. shim the rear radius arms to push the axle down ( vibration was very bad )
3. Rebalanced and rotated tires
4. Rebalanced rear drive shaft
5. removed TF springs and installed old original springs ( vibration seemed to be only slightly noticable)
6. put in TF springs again and vibration was the same as when the original springs were in

Again I get a slight vibration at different speeds 10-15, 35-40 and 55-60. I am not sure if it is driveline related or not. I did remove the rear drive shaft and lock the CDL and drive with only the front one and it seemed to be gone, but I also reversed the process and removed the front drive line and it was gone as well. So I think I might have a bearing issue in my transfer case or something like that.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Mudding

Well I just pulled both my front and rear propshaft to try isolate the vibration. With either one removed I still have the vibration. What the hell?

So the only change is a 2" suspension lift meaning the only change is the propshaft angle. That means both my propshafts need replacing? What are the odds. I've heard of some people having to replace one but not both.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Mudding

When I did the Super Gaz to mine the springs were marked driver side passenger side just a thought

Old 07-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by AuZZZie
Well I just pulled both my front and rear propshaft to try isolate the vibration. With either one removed I still have the vibration. What the hell?

So the only change is a 2" suspension lift meaning the only change is the propshaft angle. That means both my propshafts need replacing? What are the odds. I've heard of some people having to replace one but not both.
Everything I read said no other changes were necessary when lifting 2". I haven't got to the bottom of mine yet but I'm driving the truck into the Atlantic if I have to go through what you guys are going through.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Mudding

Man I'm really sorry to hear about all these issues. I have NO issues, but maybe I can help?

Let me know if you need specific pictures of anything. Where's the vibration feel like its coming from? Is something not seated correctly? Everything tightened to spec? I remember my rear shocks (the TF ones) had bolts on the bottom much longer than stock. If you tightened the nut all the way down, it would make the bolt touch the mount. Check that?

Quick Reply: My 2" Lift install experience.