Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My 98 land rover engine making a ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 98 land rover engine making a ticking noise

My 98 land rover discovery engine is making a ticking noise. A friend of mine his dad is a mechanic was looking/listen to the sound and told me its a lifter. I know I can get lifters for cheap on eBay all 16 of them for that side,tick is only by the drivers side. I was just wonder how much would it cost to have them replaced by a mechanic? I really don't want to put to much money into it because I'm trying to sell it. I really love my land rover but I need something better on mpg. I was also wondering could the noise be cleared up with an engine flush or just adjusting the rocker arm? I thought it was just the oil, so did the oil change with thicker oil thinking the other one used was to thin and it was thin but the noise is still there. Any ideas?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Which weight oil? Also, you are using 91 octane gas, correct?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM
4wd Low

I'm not sure the weight of the oil I'll have ask my boyfriend after work,he changed it. But I did tell him that the oil the shop used in seemed to thin that's why he changed it. So last month the rover had two oil changes. Yes, we use premium gas for it. I don't think the previous owners did though. They were selling the rover brcausr they could not afford filling the tank up, they would just put $20 here are there in it with Arco's cheap gas. We always go to chevron and have been using premium. My main concern is getting rid of the tick so I can sell it. Most mechanic don't really want to work on it they keep saying I should take it to the dealer. That will be quite expensive just to have them look at it. So I just wanted to see if anyones had there's fix and how much they spent or got rid of the tick.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nessa767
I'm not sure the weight of the oil I'll have ask my boyfriend after work,he changed it. But I did tell him that the oil the shop used in seemed to thin that's why he changed it. So last month the rover had two oil changes. Yes, we use premium gas for it. I don't think the previous owners did though. They were selling the rover brcausr they could not afford filling the tank up, they would just put $20 here are there in it with Arco's cheap gas. We always go to chevron and have been using premium. My main concern is getting rid of the tick so I can sell it. Most mechanic don't really want to work on it they keep saying I should take it to the dealer. That will be quite expensive just to have them look at it. So I just wanted to see if anyones had there's fix and how much they spent or got rid of the tick.
Try finding a indy rover shop and see if they can pin point it. If not just sell it with the tick - the money you will lose in the sale will be less than what you will spend trying to figure it out.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM
4wd Low

True, I've had people come look at it and I'm only asking $2100, do you think thats a reasonable price? This is the only problem the tick overall the inside is in great shape the outside paint it good, it just has a few light scratches here and there.i bought it for $3200 I've only had for a few months too.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

you can look at www.statewidelist.com to index craigslist in your state, for all Rovers, and see what the market is at this time. If tick is there at cold start (many lifter issues) , vs waiting until warmed up, could also be more serious issue if waits until hot (slipped liner). Also, see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-46975/, you may be able to improve things with a simple oil change and filter change.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM
4wd Low

So I checked the Kelly blue book and in Good condition the value is $3,738.00 fair condition:$3,163.00 so $2100 should be a fair value or is that to much if it is the lifters?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:30 PM
4wd Low

Has anyone changed lifters themselves or is it better off having a mechanic look at it hand how many days or hours is the take? I've heard about to days

Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What year is it? How many miles on it? Pics? Location?

All that info helps. There may be someone on here near you.

Basically you cannot just change one individual item like that to "fix" it.

Repairs can easily exceed what you are asking for it depending on the true condition and who is doing it.

If it has been poorly mantained in the past, there can be many things to address and a dealership would cost you a lot.

Good Luck with it.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Nessa767
So I checked the Kelly blue book and in Good condition the value is $3,738.00 fair condition:$3,163.00 so $2100 should be a fair value or is that to much if it is the lifters?
What I've found about the KBB value is it all depends on demand for the vehicle in your area. If you were selling a Honda or BMW it'd be a great value to go off of. But old Discovery's are an acquired taste so you'll only get what your local market can bare.

If you didn't have the tick I'd say be patient and the right buyer will find you. However, with the ticket I'd say be patient and the wrong buyer will find you. Weather or not that makes sense I don't know, but yeah, patience and you should be able to sell the car for what you're asking.

Quick Reply: My 98 land rover engine making a ticking noise