Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My 98 land rover engine making a ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lifters can all be changed in a matter of a few hours. The intake plenum(air horn) has to come off as well as the actual intake, and valve covers also. The valley pan is the actual intake gasket, it will need to be replaced anyway. Once that stuff is out of the way it's as simple as removing the rocker shaft and pushrods, then popping the lifters out. I can do this in about 3 hours, the average weekend warrior can probably get it done in an afternoon.

BUT, if the lifters are bad most likely the cam is on it's way south. There is NO adjustment for the rockers. Valve clearance is figured to center the lifter plunger at time of manufacture of the head. Valve stem height is part of the process when rebuilding these heads, as well as the Buick and Oldsmobile heads.

The mechanics you have consulted so far must not know this is a Buick pattern engine. Stupid easy to work on compared to what is out there today.

You would be better off selling the truck as it is. Unless you know how to work on it yourself it will cost you more than you will ever get back. You already have it priced at a loss to yourself, don't dig the hole any deeper.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Higgs boson, thanks for all that info seems like you know your rovers. I guess I'm better off selling as is. I'd rather not put more money into it

Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

List it on EBAY and see what you get!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
The lifters can all be changed in a matter of a few hours. The intake plenum(air horn) has to come off as well as the actual intake, and valve covers also. The valley pan is the actual intake gasket, it will need to be replaced anyway. Once that stuff is out of the way it's as simple as removing the rocker shaft and pushrods, then popping the lifters out. I can do this in about 3 hours, the average weekend warrior can probably get it done in an afternoon.

BUT, if the lifters are bad most likely the cam is on it's way south. There is NO adjustment for the rockers. Valve clearance is figured to center the lifter plunger at time of manufacture of the head. Valve stem height is part of the process when rebuilding these heads, as well as the Buick and Oldsmobile heads.

The mechanics you have consulted so far must not know this is a Buick pattern engine. Stupid easy to work on compared to what is out there today.

You would be better off selling the truck as it is. Unless you know how to work on it yourself it will cost you more than you will ever get back. You already have it priced at a loss to yourself, don't dig the hole any deeper.
Next time I have a tough question needing a good simple explanation, I'm pretending I'm a girl.