Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My green oval is making me feel like I have the blue oval blues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They should have replaced the kick down cable with the one off of your trans.
There is no pump to disable.
Take it back to them, let them fine tune it.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:29 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you mean fine tune it?

Old 08-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mouzetangkilla28
So update $1537 dollars later I bought a tranny with 87k from a wrecking yard and then paid a mechanic to install it and today I picked up the truck and it was shuddering as i got on the freeway and there is an exhaust leak on the passenger side needless to say Im Furious! does anyone know what kinda of recourse I have in WA sate? Part of me wants to take it back the other part doesnt want to let anyone touch my rover I still have the core part of me is wondering if they messed something up because they charged me extra cause the wrecking yard i got the tranny from cut the kickdown cable and they said they had to disassemble the pump or something?? is that right!?any feed back is appreciated
It is exactly that kind of issue that makes you realize you need to do as much as possible yourself and when you do have someone else do things for you, you need to still stay as close as possible to what is happening with your vehicle.

How much did the mechanic charge you? Did he give any written warranty? You bought the used one right?

I realize it is very tempting to have someone else do major work for you but sounds like you got a raw deal.

You may have some legal recourse or have him do something to address it, but be prepare to hear "Bring Another Grand or So" also known as the BAGS syndrone.

One other option you overlooked would be buying a rebuilt one from a reputable dealer (like D&D Fabrication) and having it installed.

Sooner or later you realize you need to do as much as possible yourself.

Where are you? There may be others in your area such as a LR Owners Group/club or some fanatic that just likes doing them.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mouzetangkilla28
what do you mean fine tune it?
They need to adjust the kick down cable and what nots to make it work properly.

We have to have this done all the time at work, I go through about 1 transmission a year, whenever I get it back I drive it for a week, send it back to the shop to have it dialed in and then it is usually fine.
Unless it is a GM transmission, those things are a huge PIA to get dialed in.
Ford trans are not so bad but those go out more often than GM because they are made in China.

Anyway, send it back.
Be nice about it though.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM
4wd Low

I live in Olympia wa and I looked at the kickdowncabe and it has the proper 1mm adjustment does it need more?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Team Owner

I have no idea if it needs more adjustment or not.
What I am saying is take it back, let them figure it out, thats why you paid them.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 PM
4wd Low

SO update I had taken the rover back and they replaced the exhaust gasket but it still leaked so i replaced them and put new studs in myself now the other problem is its doing what it did before i git the tranny replaced wich is going about 60 it seems like it slips out of gear but i guess not really its more like the governor kicks on it doesnt matter how hard i mash on the gas it will upshift but still hesitate than drive and and than hesitate so im guessing bad vss? I would feel really dumb if thats what it is. I pulled it off and it has brownish grease clay ? on it and when you shake it rattles is that normal my speedo seems to work fine but my cruise doesnt it turns on but doesnt work maybe bad tps ? I did the torque test and i only got 2000 rpms wich i guess means the engine is underpowered?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stop guessing and start doing research. C/C is independent of the VSS. It is most likely leaking tubing on c/c.

Vss does feed signal to ecu and if it whacks out screws up the fuel injection commands by shutting down engine.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

Yes the engine is under powered, its a Rover.
The TPS has nothing to do with the cruise.
Cruise not working is usually a broken or cracked vacuum line.
What you are describing sounds like a bad VSS.
It was packed with grease, grease goes bad over time.
Replace the VSS.