Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My Stuck Diff Lock Story

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Stuck Diff Lock Story

I thought I would add mine in to the pile so someone might gain a little knowledge..

Couldn't lock diff.. Shifter stuck.. Would go low-high unlocked no problem. Lever would move forward and backward, But not left and right...

Took off the console. Pulled the foam.. Drilled out the rivets. Pulled the boot...

At this point.. The easiest thing to do is to remove the two linkeages(Red Arrows) from the shifter and remove the whole thing. 4 bolts with red X..That's what I did.. 4 Bolts and the entire assembly comes off...Don't fool with the center (PIVOT) pin in the stamped arm... If it was like mine, It was like new and the bushings are a bitch to get back on and the pin back in ....DAMHIK
You can take the top cover off (4 Blue Bolts) After you pull the shifter. The bolt marked with a blue arrow needs to be loosened so you can get the pin out of that linkeage.. After you get the linkeage apart you can slide the arm off the shifter..

Mine was siezed on the left side of the shifter in the flange.(Green Arrow).This is probably where most of them are going to sieze up...
I used a hammer impact to remove the two phillips screws holding the flange to the shifter body.. I spanned the flange across a vice and slapped the shaft with a hammer and punch to knock it free... Cleaned it up. Re-greased it and put it back together.. Blue loctite on all fasteners..

Shifts smooth as butter now... It was likely never used... The back side of the flange gets funk in it and eventually siezes the rod.. It MIGHT be possible to get some PB Blaster on the end of that shaft if you know what you're aiming for.. But It's really just five minutes to pull the whole thing once you get it uncovered...No amount of spraying inside the shifter is going to free it up..It's got to be outside on the end of that shaft where the green arrow is pointing..

John

Attached Thumbnails My Stuck Diff Lock Story-t5t3qa.jpg  

Last edited by JPSpen; 12-17-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up, and great job.

One of the things on my list to do, hopefully mine is just seized in the way you describe. At least now I know the best way to get the linkage off.