Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

my tick....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by black sheep
Lol + 1

Really though, I went with the Rotella because it's all over the place here and it seems like a good idea. That stuff is thick. But like Spike said before- I think the thicker oils might be okay for a considerably worn engine and as an extender or an auction in a can- not for your keeper. I think what needs to happen is- thin oil or + marvel mystery oil for a period to clean passages and un-stick stuff. Next service- factory spec oil and monitor. If the need should arise for a different weight oil- take one step up, and so on. If you need it thick you can always get back to it.

As a side note to Spikes comment- does anyone else find a stickyness to the Rotella?
I dont think Rotella is stickier than any other oil.
The owners manual specs everything from 5w-50 upto 20w-60, it even specs mono weight oils such as HD-30 and HD-40, which I have used and she LOVED.
Rotella comes in both.
And one of the nice things about diesel oil is that it has a very high detergent content so it will clean things as you drive.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm gonna drain a quart of my rotella regular and put in the MMO. I'll drive it around a week and think about it. Figures that DD kit is more expensive for my truck. It's always like that...I just miss the price break for some reason.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Just drive around on bikini time, keep counting them until you get to desired number. May take awhile, might be a 500 bikini test drive...

Old 04-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
So I'm gonna drain a quart of my rotella regular and put in the MMO. I'll drive it around a week and think about it. Figures that DD kit is more expensive for my truck. It's always like that...I just miss the price break for some reason.
Good luck with that. Why does everyone think they can just remove drain plug and only drain 1 qt out?
Just ad the MMO and drive for a week.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Good luck with that. Why does everyone think they can just remove drain plug and only drain 1 qt out?
Just ad the MMO and drive for a week.
I don't know. Why can't we?

Old 04-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

BTW, you'll find many additives like MMO, an ounce of kerosene, a squirt of tranny fluid, etc. that people swear by, they use it every oil change, or every 3rd oil change, etc. While there is usually some real benefit from these additives, another factor is owners being disciplined about maintenance on a realistic schedule. Not once every 25,000; whether it needs it or not. I like MMO.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
I don't know. Why can't we?
Because you are opening a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the engine with 7qts of oil trying to get out.
You will drain out more than 1qt and make a huge mess.
I've learned the hard way years ago that it cannot be done.

Last edited by Spike555; 04-14-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Slang, just pour in the MMO, the bottle is so small you need not have any concern, just add it and drive as normal and then when you have reached the interval, change it. Nothing to get concerned about. The engine will not even notice that additional amount.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would also like to share this tidbit with all of you.

Today, I had plenty of time and decided I was going to do a little more with mine as far as cleaning the IACV and all the other passages associated with the Plenum.

I pulled that little vacumn hose that connects the valve cover to the side of the Plenum as I had not done that portion the first time I cleaned it. I also disconnected the line that goes from the charcoal cannister /purge valve and then into the plenum. And pulled off the big air hose and the MAF. I sat the MAF aside after disconnecting it.

I could see a little black residue trail from the vacumn port down the side of the plenum wall and where it had left a black smudge puddle in the lower portion of the plenum. I sprayed all those ports down really well with a soft cloth in the plenum opening and the throttle butterfly held open.

I was amazed at all the black residue that I was able to clean out of the various ports and passages, especuially the one from the charcoal cannister. That had never been off the hole time I owned the Discovery and probably not since it was made in mid 1996.

I swabbed all those areas with qtips sprayed with TB cleaner. Cleaned that vacumn hose and swapped out the opening in the valvecover. About 50 nasty Q tips later it was finally clean. I also carefully sprayed and swabbed the IACV being careful not to change anything, just sprayed and q tip the plunger end.

I followed advice from a fellow member about him capping off the port from the cannister and that cleared up his repetitive P1316 code. I reassembled it all, leaving the hose from the purge valve off since I capped the port on the plenum.

I went for a test drive and man was the difference immediately available.
I took off from a standing start after cruising a few minutes just to see what it did. That was basically the first time I have ever given it full acceleration like that ever. I was amazed.

I actually had to stretch my leg out to give it full throttle. It wound up to 5000 rpm (40mph) shifted into second and wound it up to about 4000 rpm's then I had to let off. It was in Drive so it was shifting, not me. This thing is pretty damn amazing when you do get it running right.

Rolled up to a stop sign. Tach was steady at 750 rpms, engine was so smooth and quiet. Traffic cleared, I eased away then romped on it again, it wound up very quickly and smoothly, I eased off at 4500 rpms (about 35 mph) , it shifted into second wound up to about 55 and I had to ease off again.

I took another side road, this time I just eased along at 1500 rpms, it shifted smoothly and just purred right along. That thorough cleaning made a hell of a difference.

I had recently purchased a can of CRC Engine Treatment (identical to Seafoam, same exact info on can). I gassed up with Sunoco 93 and added some of the CRC juice to the gas and it just runs better than it ever has.

That is with recent NGK wires, new Champion Coppers, and a thorough intake cleaning and the port from the charcoal cannister capped off. I rerouted the existing hose down and around the cannister and venting toward the front wheel well. I did not want the change to be obvious when I take it in for the State Inspection soon.

It runs quieter and smoother than ever.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Team Owner

Danny, can you include a pic of what you capped off and what hose you ran to where?

Quick Reply: my tick....