Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

my tick....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So far, mine is doing totally awesome. It never had the smooth idle and immediate throttle response that it now has. It is like a totally different driving experience.

When I first bought mine in mid 2006, I almost did not buy it because it felt underpowered. The owner of the small lot where I bought it claimed that all Land Rover Discoveries were like that. Heavy and a small engine, but that the other features more than made up for that.

Almost every vehicle I ever owned was very robust, but that was one of the basic requirements for me to want to buy any vehicle.

I have worked my way thru all the typical things like plugs, wires and a variety of little things. It continued to get better, but would tend to run rich, and a variety of other things.

I have continued to work my way thru learning as much as I could from this forum and a few other sources.

After a very thorough cleaning of the plenum (short of actually removing the plenum) followed by capping off that port, this thing is no longer what I would consider weak or underpowered.

If I merely push the throttle down, it goes like a bat out of hell compared to when I first got it. It totally amazed me with the acceleration it now has with just stepping down on the throttle.

It winds up quicker and higher than it ever did. I am thrilled with it. It is really fun to drive now.

Do yours at your own risk! And don't blame me if you get caught speeding in it.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-17-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thread is pretty much done unless i turn it into a "couldn't sleep, redid my crank" thread. interested in your development here.

need to have a look and see what you did here. on top of my "discochondriac" condition i have a "besteva" condition that results in "the car is driving better than ever" condition after i do anything to it. usually turns into a drives as it always has condition shortly after. let's see if i can avoid the latter with this fix.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

So the 500 bikini test drive worked??

Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 PM

Slang,
Sorry for the distraction. Are you pulling it apart yet?

I am pulling for you to find whatever it is that is "ticking" on yours, I was just so thrilled with the recent improvements on mine and wanted to share that info with you before you found yourself surrounded with a variety of Rover Engine Innards wondering what to turn to next.

There are so many things that can give us a variety of noises with the beasts. Mine was one series of things after another. I was convinced I had a leaking valley pan gasket and was on the verge of tearing into mine when I tightened the Valve Cover bolts and resolved that problem. The full upper gasket set I bought is still in the shipping package sitting on my shelf along with a few other items i was sure I needed.

Hang in there Brudda.

Get your wrenches ready.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's the duck...

Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Slang, I am confused somewhat, are you saying you still plan to take the engine apart or are you having some other plans stewing?

I just hear so many horror stories about these things and I wanted to encourage you to try the smaller external issues like clogged intake passages, leaking hoses, exhaust leaks that can sound like valves clicking, mine certainly did.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm saying I need to live with it a couple weeks as I digest it in my mind. I can't do this job myself but I could maybe with a paid friend.....and a good torque wrench.

I'll use the MMO but I can't count on that. I can't explain the duck.

I'm into your charcoal bypass procedure as well. That's a pretty strong testament to engine improvement.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 PM

OK, I understand you now. I agree with not rushing into ripping the engine apart without a good solid plan. There have been way too many people who jumped in over their head and started pulling things apart without an understanding of what they were getting into. Those are the ones that usually end up scattered about in someone's barn and becoming true fiascoes.

Right after I joined the Fort Pitt Land Rover Group, one of their members took the heads off his Rover in another members barn. It was over two years before he got it back together, and another year before he realized he had cut two wires as part of that fix and when he spliced them back together, he reversed them.

After much aggravation and numerous other issues he finally got it running again and back on the road.

Glad you are taking a breather. I agree we could close this one out and start a fresh one to address yours again.

I am finally beginning to focus my efforts to get mine running as smooth as possible.
It is sweet to watch it wind up to 4000 rpms and shift into the next gear just by easing off the throttle a little.

Vacumn issues can be quite deceiving as well as annoying.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
I'm saying I need to live with it a couple weeks as I digest it in my mind. I can't do this job myself but I could maybe with a paid friend.....and a good torque wrench.

I'll use the MMO but I can't count on that. I can't explain the duck.

I'm into your charcoal bypass procedure as well. That's a pretty strong testament to engine improvement.
Fly me out to Puerto Rico and I will do the whole job for free!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
So the 500 bikini test drive worked??
the bikini test challenges my driving everyday. the test is keeping on the road. at any moment i can have my first accident since i got my first fast car.

Quick Reply: my tick....