Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help!

I just bought my first*land rover (300tdi)*and I was trying to get it to start easier so I bought new glow plugs and I also was trying get the air out of the*fuel system*so I read online to crack the bleed screw on the*fuel filter*head but I accidentally took off the banjo bolt and now I cant get it to start, I tried to get the air out using the lift pump and I tried to turn it over and see if it would self purge but I cant get it to fire up, so im not sure if I have a bad lift pump or I put the banjo bolt on wrong but any help is appreciated

Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

It has to be air in the system. Is the low side bled all the way to the injector pump inlet? If so are you able to crack the injector lines and bleed them? Leaks are the number one reason for hard starts, they'll bleed down the lines. Injectors clean? Diesels don't self purge, are a pain to start once air enters the fuel system. Injector pump in good condition? Any fuel leaks there?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I do not have a tdi rover but on my dodge I have done this quite a few times
2 man job 1 to crank engine 1 to be under hood

if the banjo goes through a line be sure you put the copper gaskets back (new one on each side of the line)

be sure filter is tight with good gaskets
crack open outlet on filter housing and be sure fuel is exiting there while cranking if so tighten

we then crack open all injector lines at the injectors and crank engine, close lines as a lot of fuel starts to come out at some point during the process it should begin trying to start

when it begins trying to start you may need to hold throttle slightly as engine will be running real rough trying to clear remaining air and then smooth out and be fine

let it run for a few minutes then turn off and recheck toughness of all the lines

is your fuel filter cartridge clean?

I don't know how much the glow plugs are needed during normal ambient temps some diesels only need em when it is real cold some all the time

Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

When you're operating the lift pump lever you have to make sure the cam lobe is away from the inside lever (the one on the left in the photo), otherwise you're not really pumping anything. You should feel a difference in the effort depending on if the lobe is against the lever or not, more resistance to pumping when it isn't.

You may need to crack open the supply line olive nut at the injection pump and pump until you get a good stream of fuel.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The other thought, once you get the system primes. consider clean your fuel filter and or water trap if you have one. Once running, you might want to add a goo diesel fuel additive to clean out the system.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cracked open the injector lines and fuel came out and still wouldnt start and my lift pump is getting pressure

Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Is fuel coming out when you crank it with the lift to injection pump line cracked at the injection pump? As opposed to hand pumping it.