Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need help- Pin the liners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help- Pin the liners?

Greetings...

Hoping someone with some more experience can give me some guidance..

I have a 98 Disco I, 128K. Everything is doing well with the motor, but I am about 98% sure I am having a liner(s) moving. I originally thought it was a lifter, but it is only occurring when warm and is intermittent. I went to the Uwharrie Safari recently and spoke with some guys that had the same issue and they listened to the knock. The first advice was to try to keep the engine cooler than normal (Try to help prevent the movement to start with). Even running in the low 180's, I am still getting the knock after warm. I am having no other signs of issues... I am concerned the liner(s) moving will eventually eat away at whatever it is hitting.. (Head Gasket?)

The guys I spoke with just dropped their pan and drilled a tapcon below the piston skirt distance, installed with red loctite and have not had any issues since.

So- Should I pin the liners? If so- how big of a bolt should I use and what side and "Exact location" should I install them? I want to make sure I do not hit any jackets or weak spots..

Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

This would be the first I've heard of a D1 doing this. Rovers older than the D2 did have liner problems sometimes, but my understanding was that they were dropped liners, and that's usually catastrophic.

Could it be an exhaust leak?

The following users liked this post:
Billfromthehill (03-28-2019)
Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 PM
4wd Low

I have about worried myself to death over this.. lol. I am almost for sure it is the liner or liners moving. Exact match to description and sound. Only when warm, intermittant and goes away above 2000 RPM. did the old broomstick listening and sound right near the head line.

Looks like I found what I was looking for here:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ictures-56419/

I think I will be looking at doing.. I think it will solve the issue and help save the HG from being beat to death.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the blocks for the D1 engines were bored staight through so the liner would drop into the pan, unlike the D2 blocks which were machined with a register or lip at the base of the bore where the liner was supposed to be pressed up tight to. Of course, the liners were often not fully pressed in and we all know how that story ends.

Anyway, pinning the liners won't hurt anything as long as you don't screw up so if you are convinced that's it why not try? If nothing else it will give you a chance to clean the sludge out of the oil pan and replace that leaky gasket (I'm assuming because it's a Rover that it's leaking).

Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you sure its not your cats going bad?
My truck makes a rod knock sounds sometimes when hot, its the cats, they are going to go.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the ideas.. I'll get under there tomorrow and listen to the CATS and see what I hear. I feel pretty sure now it is the liners. I am not sure on the history of the truck and if it ever got hot. Believe it or not she doesn't leak much besides a little tranny drips and the usual coolant near the timing cover (minor). I fixed a exhaust leak tonight near the passenger manifold (lower), but am positive that want it. Looks like the procedure for pinning is pretty easy. I have not removed the pan YET on the disco.. assuming jack the frame up, let axle hang and the pan should come down. Kinda tight, but pro could swing it with a right angle drill while in place. Seems to be rear cylinders. Now I am worried about the liners falling down in the pan and catastrophic failure. Seems some people have ran them 50K raising cane with liners moving.. ?

Will advise on the cats.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Three Wheeling

I get that sometimes. Well when i run gas with up to 10% ethanol. I don't get it when i run 100% gasoline.