Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New '96 Disco Owner - Possible Bearing Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, just ordered a set of new u-joints. Sounds like it would be better just to replace them.

Now, on to another issue I have identified. The passenger's side front corner is about 1 inch lower than the rest of the corners of the truck. I measured from the center of the wheel well down to the ground, and it was about an inch shorter than the others. Could this be due to worn springs? I sure hope it is as easy as that. Could there be other factors involved?

BTW, the truck does not have ACE.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Is the tire flat on the low side?

Assuming there isn't a lot of weight on one side, yeah, just worn, or possibly broken, spring.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Overlanding

LOL...no, the tire is not flat. I may be a noob to a Disco, but missing that would be down right dumb.

I will be scooting under the truck again today to bleed the brakes. I will make sure to take a look at the springs to see if I can see any signs of wear or sagging.

No other factors could be involved with one corner being lower than the rest, correct?

Thanks - Shawn

Last edited by Lchop1.8T; 09-05-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Overlanding

Okay, guys. Here is an update.

1. Turns out what I thought was bearing/CV noise, ended up actually being the dust shield scraping on the rotor. So, that turned out better than expected.

2. For the uneven ride height issue, I found out that, for whatever reason, the PO decided to install only one heavy duty spring on the driver's front corner and left the passenger side alone. So, after removing both springs, the driver's side was about an inch longer and the coils were thicker than the passenger side. I ended up replacing both sides with standard springs from Roverland Parts. I plan on doing the rear very soon.

I appreciate everyone's help diagnosing those issues. Now, what I have left to do is:

1. Replace U-joints
2. Replace trans filter and fluid
3. Replace T-stat and coolant
4. Clean throttle body
5. Replace fuel filter
6. Figure out why the rear windows stopped working. Will be pulling the ECU to look at soldering.

All other items on the suggested high-miler list have been completed. Getting close!

Thanks - Shawn

Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe the PO was really overweight and his wife was not, thus the one HD spring.

Originally I figured she was the fat one and that spring had seen more wear and tear.

Most Discoveries with the original springs are sagging badly by now. When I first got mine, I could not get underneath the front of it, with the new springs in place, I can roll from one end to the other on my HD creeper.