Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New forum member.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New forum member.

I am a new member and at this point I'm overwhelmed with the amount of information available on this website.

My question. Somewhere on the site I ran across a list of parts vendors. Before I bookmarked them I wandered off to a different thread. I could not relocate vendor list.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Starting problems. Apologies I posted this on the wrong forum. D2 rather than D1

REPOSTING to D1

New owner of 1997 LR Discovery SE V8i. 94K miles

Has been running and starting fine. Only one display issue ABS anti lock(?) working to solve that.

Yesterday after starting fine in the yard and driving 3 miles with a stop. After the errand was done 10 mins when I tried to restart the car.

This happen quickly...I inserted the key got the diagnostic start up with no errors (except yellow ABS warning). Turn the key from II to III the starter engaged BRIEFLY (2-3 seconds) then nothing. When key is turn to start position NOTHING.

However lights horn and other external lights work. They do NOT dim with start attempt. Yet internal electricals (radio lights, dash lights, even the DC cellphone charger light dims to out). I can hear a very slight click under the dash. It seems to be over toward the passenger kick panel or near the glove compartment.

I did try a jump start. I did try clean battery posts. No go.

The fact that headlights fail to dim with a start attempt would suggest to me it is not a weak battery.

Maybe a bad starter connection, ground, relay, safety?

Still new and learning the in/outs and quirks of our new LR.

On final note. As a retired IT director who had to chase down network outages and problems. My troubleshooting flow chart would always start with..... my first diagnostic question..... WHAT if anything has changed "lately" that might have had some impact on the current event.

So back to the LR. The day before the "event" I had the exhaust system repaired. It was up on a lift with a mechanic working around underneath. All
that was replace were the two mufflers and pipes. Starting at the front (middle) of the system working back. Connector pipe with flange, muffler, connector pipe to rear muffler, rear muffler, tail pipe.

No work to my knowledge on the front half of the exhaust system from the flange mentioned above to the engine.

Help please. Thanks

Old 08-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Check out cables that attach to starter. The big one goes to the battery, so it will be energized. The little one tells the solenoid to pull in. It has a push on connection.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 97 as well. I had multiple occurrences where mine did everything fine then with no warning, absolutely nothing when I would turn the key to the start position.

Mine turned out to be the cable from the starter to the frame connection (ground) had significantly corroded to the point that the fastener looked like what you see when they show footage of the Titanic. I ended up cuytting off the lug, and stripping back the insulation and crimping on a new lug. I bought some excellent replacement cables from one of our fellow members Antichrist. Tom Rowe.

You are on the correct path with your t/s.

They may have crushed something or knocked something loose when they had it on the rack, but I would check those electrical connections as well as the ones from the alternator to the fuseblock under the hood.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to hell(rover repair)