Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

new guy needs help with new car

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy needs help with new car

hey everybody I just signed up here hoping I can find an answer to a troubling problem. I just bought this great 96 Discovery se7. The problem is the guy I bought this from is a little less than honest. This is in Terrific shape with only a hundred eighteen thousand miles. He claims it only needs a starter. I started messing with it right away I noticed you do not hear a fuel pump kick on. There is a definite clicking sound but don't know what it is.
I went under neath to tap the starter and my wife tried the key and nothing changed. All connections look good and clean on the starter on the battery and on the frame rails. This is a brand new battery That he put in it.
I checked all the obvious things like the fuses but I'm sure he already has too. Any and all help troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

The fuel pump is a non issue until you can get the starter to turn the motor. I would get that sorted, then worry about the fuel pump(if its even a problem). You can get good used ones on ebay, there is 1 with free shipping for $35 on ebay right now. Also you can contact Paul Grant on here. Search for him.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check for voltage at the starter solenoid and starter when you try to start it. What's the alarm led doing during all of this ?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear

The alarm LED is not lit up

Old 12-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Might want to search forum for immobilized.
I'd lend you a link, but I'm to stupid to copy and paste from my phone.
But I'd for sure check out the starter first

Old 12-11-2013, 05:12 PM
3rd Gear

Can anyone tell me how many wires should be going to the starter? I have the large one which comes from the battery and one small one is that right

Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

landroverresource.com

the above link will have all the info you will need for working on your discovery.

Click on the discovery link in blue on that page and you will be able to download the rave manual. no bottled water or glow sticks needed. just some tools.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, 2 wires, a big one for the starter motor and a little one for the solenoid, ground is through the starter frame and engine block. High current power from the big wire is internally switched to the starter motor (the big cylinder) by the starter solenoid (the little cylinder) when the key is turned to the start position. Kind of like a light switch completing the circuit to switch power to a bulb. Battery voltage should always be present on the big wire, and normally there should be no voltage on the little wire. When the key is turned to the start position, you should see battery voltage appear on the little wire, causing the solenoid to pick up and switch the high current lead to the starter and engage the starter motor. Stater spins up, Bendix assembly throws the gear out to the flywheel, motor starts, release the key and the voltage on the little wire goes to zero, solenoid drops out, starter disengages. Hopefully, at this point car stays running. Use long leads and don't be under the car when all this is going on, just in case it decides to start. If the battery is half dead and the voltage is too low to hold the solenoid in, you will hear a rapid clicking sound coming from the starter / solenoid assembly as the solenoid tries to lock in but the starter motor won't engage.

Last edited by ajnolin; 12-11-2013 at 09:22 PM.