Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

"new" land rover! but a few issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "new" land rover! but a few issues?

So I just got a "new to me" 94 land rover discovery, I am in love already. I got a really good deal on it, but there are a few problems. One of the problems is the check oil light is on, but were almost sure that it isn't the actual oil, because we've checked the oil several times, and it has been driving fine all day, so we are going to change the sensor for it, is this a common problem? Also another issue is the locks, the only way to lock all the doors, with out setting off the alarm is to hold the lock for 5 seconds, but this can be a bit inconvenient, if we lock it from the inside, as soon as we close the doors it unlocks, and the clicker thing isn't working, which we plan to also get fixed, it might just have dead batteries.

So yeah, just a "I'm new" thread and asking for a bit of advice!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Check oil light is driven by a low pressure sender that is located near the oil filter. It is "on" when first turning ignition, but IT SHOULD GO OUT once vehicle cranks. It monitors for very low pressure, something around 8 PSI. You will find it very close to the oil filter on the right side of the engine, a single wire attaches to it. If you remove the wire and the light clears, could be time for a new switch, or it might have a ground on the wire. They are cheap. Since you have been sporting about in your new ride, blissfully ignoring the low oil signal, and have made it this far, we must assume that you are leading a charmed life. You can download the complete service manual from other spots on this forum, it is called the "RAVE". The page showing the location of the switch, and a way to attach a manual pressure test gauge is attached. Note: Never ignore the temp gauge when it gets above 50%. Read every part in the tech section of the forum. Locate all salavage yards within driving distance. Be sure to have a 27 mm socket and breaker bar in the vehicle at all times, you will learn about lug nuts.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oil Pressure Switch.pdf (545.0 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-11-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You cannot lock the door and then close it, it is a safety thing so you do not lock your kid in the car.
The alarm is by far the thing I know the least about.
Oil PSI sending unit is either bad or some such as already stated.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually the lug nuts are 1 1/16 inch. I prefer a four way "Spinner " cross bar type lug wrench. You get greater leverage with it.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1-1/16"=1.0625" 27mm= 1.0629". I have used both before.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

THE 4 WAY GIVES EXCELLENT LEVERAGE. tWENTY BUCKS OR SO AT MOST PARTS STORES. HARD TO BEAT.

IF YOU USE A SOCKET, MAKE SURE IT IS A GOOD ONE, YOU WILL BREAK A JUNK ONE AND POSSIBLY HURT YOURSELF.

THOSE CHROME CAPS ARE EASILY DAMAGED BY IDIOTS AT TIRE STORES AND SMALL GARAGES USING SOCKETS AND LOTS OF PRESSURE WITH THEIR AIR HAMMERS.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have to lock the doors with the key in the drivers door, and also have to unlock it there. If you try to unlock in the passenger door or rear door it will set the alarm off. holding the key when you lock it locks it but disarms the alarm.