Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New lift, now, impossible to drive...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I have an RTE adjustable panhard and it chewed through 3 different brand heims. Now they weren't terrible and if I drove the truck strictly on dirt roads and trails they would probably be fine. But there was more play in them than I cared for. I ended up finding a bushing rod end from Speedway Motors for about $13. I have to ream the frame mount out to accept a 5/8" bolt but otherwise it's perfect and has outlasted all three of the previous heims.

My brothers lifted truck has all hiem steering it is sloppy on road and was expensive to replace the ends when they wore out and it never goes off pavement

Last edited by TOM R; 03-24-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an RTE adjustable panhard and it chewed through 3 different brand heims. Now they weren't terrible and if I drove the truck strictly on dirt roads and trails they would probably be fine. But there was more play in them than I cared for. I ended up finding a bushing rod end from Speedway Motors for about $13. I have to ream the frame mount out to accept a 5/8" bolt but otherwise it's perfect and has outlasted all three of the previous heims.
My cheap Ruff Stuff heim is going strong! Its been in there for about a year now and isn't sloppy. Guess I got a good one! Wish I could say the same for the heims on my front shocks.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i've only used ruffstuff heims. never had a problem.. did 80 mph pin straight with my pinky on the wheel in this pig...

Name:  V9PCniw.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  98.3 KB

please disgregard the non high-misalignment ends on the drag link... took this pic before i put the correct TREs on there.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Lifting

For whatever practical reason would one want to lift the body higher above the axles than standard? To see better? To easier fall over along an incline? To roll over easier if you just HAD to swerve hard to avoid that elk? To experience the ongoing extra costs to fix the problems immediately encountered after the lift?

The axles are still where they were. The front and rear differentials are there where they were. Apart from looking different, the off-road ability is greatly decreased and the risks for a mishap off road - and even on-road - are greatly increased.

I saw a lifted Discovery in Denver the other day with low profile tires....

Old 03-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteroMan
For whatever practical reason would one want to lift the body higher above the axles than standard? To see better? To easier fall over along an incline? To roll over easier if you just HAD to swerve hard to avoid that elk? To experience the ongoing extra costs to fix the problems immediately encountered after the lift?

The axles are still where they were. The front and rear differentials are there where they were. Apart from looking different, the off-road ability is greatly decreased and the risks for a mishap off road - and even on-road - are greatly increased.

I saw a lifted Discovery in Denver the other day with low profile tires....
Seriously????? The one and really only reason for a lift of any kind/size is for larger tire clearance.
Larger tires = bigger obstacles. Bigger obstacles = Yeeeeeehaw!!!!

Old 03-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Baja

Having a lift means bigger tires for a little more ground clearance and better off road ride while getting to that inaccessible place you are now stuck in and using your winch to get out of

Not sure it wears out your vehicle faster having taller springs but, more like it can better show you how wore out everything is

Last edited by TOM R; 03-27-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Pro Wrench

Lift = big tires, big tires = big fun! And on a serious note, lifting a truck also allows for more suspension travel. If done correctly it greatly improves offroad abilities. If you don't believe me put a stock d1 up against mine or Brett's and see what happens.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Baja

Ian, you and Brett don't have a lift you all's just crazy

Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Ian, you and Brett don't have a lift you all's just crazy
Ian's a Redneck. He used 4x4's to lift his truck.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Ian's a Redneck. He used 4x4's to lift his truck.
SHHHHHHHH! Don't give away my secret for that killer flex!

Quick Reply: New lift, now, impossible to drive...