Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New lift, now, impossible to drive...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 on 2" usually

Old 03-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Don't think most need to castor correct the 2" remove the sway bars they make it worse with the lift on this vehicle

That full kit is the best deal if you want to do the whole suspension

What weight springs you get? Some are made to carry a certain weight gear all the time

Last edited by TOM R; 03-23-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Don't think most need to castor correct the 2" remove the sway bars they make it worse with the lift on this vehicle

That full kit is the best deal if you want to do the whole suspension

What weight springs you get? Some are made to carry a certain weight gear all the time
I bought the Medium Load Kit, should be used on vehicles carrying up to 220LB of equipment on front and up to 440LB equipment in the rear.

My original idea was to build the truck slowly, maybe that was a bad approach?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Pro Wrench

My truck rode fine on MD TF springs with no gear, bumpers, etc. I run HD RTE springs now with only a front bumper and rack and it also rides fine. I doubt that your problem.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Here is an example my some springs require 150# ? Constant load on front or they give more lift then designed and a bad ride, I did the winch then lift, could be part of the problem but I am sure beat bushings are a large factor, I do not think you need cranked arms as you will set down once you add the weight

How are you not hitting front shaft on sway bar?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
My truck rode fine on MD TF springs with no gear, bumpers, etc. I run HD RTE springs now with only a front bumper and rack and it also rides fine. I doubt that your problem.
Originally Posted by TOM R
Here is an example my some springs require 150# ? Constant load on front or they give more lift then designed and a bad ride, I did the winch then lift, could be part of the problem but I am sure beat bushings are a large factor, I do not think you need cranked arms as you will set down once you add the weight

How are you not hitting front shaft on sway bar?
Eventually I will add my winch and bumper... I just wish weekends were longer The truck drives the same as it did before the lift, so I'm sure its the worn bushings.

I actually found the TF253 Terrafirma Adjustable Panhard Rod, and I'm thinking that might be the way to go for now, then I can buy the bushing kit later to fix other issues as I find them.

I most definitely rub, but I'm not sure where, I ran out of time so I will have to check next weekend :\

Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Pro Wrench

Panhard bar is a case by case need on 2". It most certainly wont hurt and will take care of the bushings on it.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalev
Eventually I will add my winch and bumper... I just wish weekends were longer The truck drives the same as it did before the lift, so I'm sure its the worn bushings.

I actually found the TF253 Terrafirma Adjustable Panhard Rod, and I'm thinking that might be the way to go for now, then I can buy the bushing kit later to fix other issues as I find them.

I most definitely rub, but I'm not sure where, I ran out of time so I will have to check next weekend :\
Wait, what!? It drove the same BEFORE the lift? Then yeah, it's bushings or something.
You probably don't need a panhard but if you're going with an adjustable one I like that one a lot because it uses stock bushings on each end. Heims have no place on a truck driven on the road, IMO.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Wait, what!? It drove the same BEFORE the lift? Then yeah, it's bushings or something.
You probably don't need a panhard but if you're going with an adjustable one I like that one a lot because it uses stock bushings on each end. Heims have no place on a truck driven on the road, IMO.
meh, i prefer heims. they handle the extra weight/forces wheeling puts on them better than TREs and bushings.. just depends on how you're using them.

and yea.... probably should have said it drives the same at the beginning of the thread.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3846
meh, i prefer heims. they handle the extra weight/forces wheeling puts on them better than TREs and bushings.. just depends on how you're using them.

and yea.... probably should have said it drives the same at the beginning of the thread.
I have an RTE adjustable panhard and it chewed through 3 different brand heims. Now they weren't terrible and if I drove the truck strictly on dirt roads and trails they would probably be fine. But there was more play in them than I cared for. I ended up finding a bushing rod end from Speedway Motors for about $13. I have to ream the frame mount out to accept a 5/8" bolt but otherwise it's perfect and has outlasted all three of the previous heims.

Quick Reply: New lift, now, impossible to drive...