Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

new problem...brake light

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new problem...brake light

my brake light was out(right side) so i went to change the bulb and after replacing it, it still did not work. yes i got the two prong bulb. the nighttime driving lights that comeon when you put your lights on work but when i press the brake it does not get brighter so i do not think its a faulty bulb. Also it fit perfectly so im sure i got the right size but can somebody tell me the correct bulb size so i can double check? thank you

Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Check your brake switch behind the brake pedal. It could be knocked out of the housing, just needs reset, or needs replaced. To reset it, pull the plunger out, depress the brake pedal, install the switch, then pull towards you on the brake pedal til you hear on click from the switch.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Classklown90
my brake light was out(right side) so i went to change the bulb and after replacing it, it still did not work. yes i got the two prong bulb. the nighttime driving lights that comeon when you put your lights on work but when i press the brake it does not get brighter so i do not think its a faulty bulb. Also it fit perfectly so im sure i got the right size but can somebody tell me the correct bulb size so i can double check? thank you
I undestand that the problem is with only one side.
Here's what happened to me: the bulb holder had overheated, the metal contacts sunk into the plastic and there wasn't contact between the holder and the light assembly.
After much modifications, the best solution was to solder wires from the light assembly to the bulb holder. I haven't thought of it for 5 years.
I hope this is not the solution you need but if it helps you go ahead and don't burn your finger soldering.

SD

Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a problem with my headlight wiring being corroded. So instead of trying to fix the crap that was there I took the headlight assembly down to NAPA and matched up a whole socket from another vehicle (can't remember which at the moment) that just pops into the same size hole that the old one fit into, came home, cut the wires on the old and soldered and heat shrunk it. Now I can buy a regular old cheap bulb from Wal-Mart, no worries. That's what I would do to the rear if I were you. Anything electrical that I can rewire and get rid of LR stuff the better off I am.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was the same as soccer dad, I diddled with it for months, then used a razor knife to modify the melted plastic bulbholder so better contact could be made.

Been good for a year

luck,greg

Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Mudding

thanks guys ill give this a try

Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Mudding

so im pretty sure its the taillight housing. where can i get a new one? i couldnt find it on atlantic british

Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Mudding

no luck, all i can find is a complete tail light. i jus need a new housing for the brake light. i tried 3 different bulbs and they all turn on when i turn the light on but they will not light up when i press the brake, i tried cleaning the connections too.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Classklown90
no luck, all i can find is a complete tail light. i jus need a new housing for the brake light. i tried 3 different bulbs and they all turn on when i turn the light on but they will not light up when i press the brake, i tried cleaning the connections too.
Have you swapped the bulb holder with the other side?
Locate the brake light track on the light cluster. Look at it closely near the hole where the bulb goes in and you should see the metal track sunk into the plastic just a little too much. Slip a tooth pick between the metal and the plastic housing to lift the metal up.
reassemble the bulb and holder into the cluster and test.
If this works, replace the tooth pick with a piece of hard plastic (the insulator of crimp connectors is ok), the wook can catch fire and metal will just sink into the plastic again.

I should have taken pictures when I did mine.

SD