Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Rover Owner.... Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good Luck to all of you new Discovery owners.

I have had my 97 three years now and enjoy it very much. Lately the wife has started using it to take the grandkids to the park.

Before long it will be fishing in the mountain streams then some serious backwoods camping and exploring.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced a cracked vacume line yesterday... first repair - 2$ probably about the cheapest I'll pay for.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Mudding

I went for a little adventure yesterday through osborn wash here in parker.... didnt push anything, but it went everywhere effortlessly. I'm still confused as to if it is locked up or not. Do the discoverys have lockers?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

no lockers just the CDL full time 4wd and locks even power with the CDL engaged but most of the time you wont need it locked, the light on the dash will come on when its engaged and I can usually hear the difference.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by thehun
Land rovers take more maintaince than other vehicles..however it honestly creates a bond like no other vehicle ive ever had..the reason...you KNOW your vehicle inside and out...ive only had my rover for 2 weeks...but im in love...maintaince is fun for me....I was very lucky the PO owner rebuilt the engine so I dont have to worry about water pump/gasket or anything like that for a good while.
see how fun it is when after a couple of years the "weekly" maintenance doesn't end!!! just when you think "what's next" it makes itself known.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Mudding

Do they have a limited slip or anything similar, or is it open diff? Do many rover guys invest in lockers?

Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezert Rover
Do they have a limited slip or anything similar, or is it open diff? Do many rover guys invest in lockers?
They are open diffs, locking the CDL (center diff lock) locks both the front and rear driveshaft together so that equal power goes fore and aft.
But the axle diffs are still open.
Locking the CDL will double your traction, adding a locker front or rear will do even more.
I am personally have the opinion that lockers are not needed for 98% of the off roaders out there.
If you are rock crawling or very very serious mud bogging then yes, but for the rest of us just a good set of tires and a winch.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Mudding

I got to investigating where the oil leak my rover has originates from. It's not a bad leak - a drip in a day - but I sourced it to an oil line up front. Or atleast thats what it looks like. Is this pretty common?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Dezert Rover
I got to investigating where the oil leak my rover has originates from. It's not a bad leak - a drip in a day - but I sourced it to an oil line up front. Or atleast thats what it looks like. Is this pretty common?
If it is not leaking something is wrong, also if you stop the last leak then a new one will appear by land rover law!

yes most of our land rovers leak.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Mudding

i would say its just sweat from all that horse power, but um... not exactly the case lol.
If its something as simple as a fitting, I think i can handle that.

Quick Reply: New Rover Owner.... Advice??