Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Rover Owner.... Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as the stereo in these goes, I was severely disappointed with it. The PO had apparently shorted out the original CD changer under the passengers seat and replaced it with a different Sony unit. I ended up ripping the whole thing out. Head unit and all, even the rear door amp/speaker.

I also removed the carpets from the entire vehicle. The rear cargo pad had gotten soaked and holds water like you cannot imagine. I have to take care of some light rust in the rear floor and the front floor pans as well.

I think putting the cd unit under the passengers seat was plain stupid. If you do any water crossings off road, it can be a real problem. I will eventually replace the head unit one of these days but no underseat electrical for me.

The newer models came with lots nicer sound systems than the DI has. So I would not waste any money doing anything with the original unit. If somebody gives you one, then that's better than spending big bucks.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Depending on the year the amp is either under the dash or under the passenger seat.
You dont have your year listed in your sig so I cant tell you where it is.
But since the CD changer is under the passenger seat...

My amp was toast when I bought my truck, low volume from the speakers, cd changer not "reading".
Went to Best Buy and for $200 had a Kenwood unit installed and I can hook up my iPhone to listen to Pandora, iTunes, Netflix etc.

But I do prefer the look of the OEM unit.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezert Rover
good to know... I looked up the hose and it was around 75 bucks. I'm not in a hurry to replace it, but atleast its simple.
It is likely the oil cooler lines you are looking at. These have o-rings at the fittings on the ends. I would try that first. The lines are pretty stout.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Mudding

....sounds like the right route to take. Thanks.
Spike... you inspired me to change my signature.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:43 AM

I did some good cleaning of the underside areas of the engine with some Simple Green and some old t-shirts and towels followed by an oil change. I wiped everything down really good since I had been plagued with what I thought was a valley pan gasket leak. I had been getting oil puddles on top of the water pump housing and oil dripping down leaving a mess for a few weeks. I had ordered replacement gaskets, oil filte and crush ring, and a few other goodies. The leak turned out to be loose valve cover bolts. It has not leaked since I tightened those devilish little 8mm bolts that are so difficult to get to easily.

When I took the old filter off, I wiped all above and around it while I had better access. I snugged down the cooler line connection that is by the oil filter. It was just slightly loose, but you could tell it had leaked a little.

I hate the way the oil drain dumps the old oil right onto the linkages below it, but I guess that gives you a good cleaner when you wipe it down. I plan on getting it really clean so it will be easier to see what leaks next, but I don't like power spraying it. I did that once and it ran poorly until it dried out good.

I used the Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic blend. I had gone to Walmart to get a jug of Rotella but they were out of it and the Valvoline looked like a good choice. I used 10w30 for the upcoming winter.

I was impressed with how quiet it is now. It was running smooth before the oil change. Last change was a few months ago, but I don't put a lot of miles on mine currently, but I wanted to get fresh oil in before the weather got any worse here.

Prior to the previous change change it had a slight tap that would come and go. I put in Castrol GT 10w40 Extended Mileage with a bottle of Lucas Conditioner as well. That quieted it down pretty good. About 1000 miles between changes and what came out was solid black.

With that synthetic blend in it, it is running quieter than it ever has since I have owned it. Using only 93 octane in it since I learned on here that you need to. Just thought I would pass that along to all you fine people.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:15 AM
2nd Gear

i need a owners manual fot my 95 discovery mineerj@suddenlink.net

Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by mineerj
i need a owners manual fot my 95 discovery mineerj@suddenlink.net
Download the RAVE!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Download the RAVE!!!!!!!!!
Yep double on that! Rave manual contains the owners manuals

Old 11-16-2010, 09:48 PM

My son gave me a Sony Explode head unit that he had pulled out of something. Since i removed most of my original stereo system, I am just going to wire power , ground and new speakers in and give it a try.

Cost so far is 0 dollars and a little bit of time and some existing speakers I had on hand. And it has the CD and an aux input on the front panel as well.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thehun
dont get the pump at oreilys..it sucks...get the one at autozone...much better
No Autozone near me, but I will agree here that the one from O'Reily's is a PITA when pumping in heavy gear oil, but it still gets the job done. The point here is that it is nearly impossible to get gear oil in without the pump, so buy something!

Quick Reply: New Rover Owner.... Advice??