Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Rover Owner.... Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also... regarding the stereo. Mine wont acknowledge the disc changer. I can hear the changer doing its thing, but when I switch modes it only displays am, fm1, fm2. No cd.
And the bigger issue, my speakers dont seem to work. I can hear one in the back, kinda sounds like a sub, but thats all.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezert Rover
Also... regarding the stereo. Mine wont acknowledge the disc changer. I can hear the changer doing its thing, but when I switch modes it only displays am, fm1, fm2. No cd.
And the bigger issue, my speakers dont seem to work. I can hear one in the back, kinda sounds like a sub, but thats all.
Your amp is toast.
You have a couple of options.
Replace the head unit with a new aftermarket unit.
Remove the amp and see if it is repairable.
Buy a used LR amp.

I replaced my head unit.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Your amp is toast.
You have a couple of options.
Replace the head unit with a new aftermarket unit.
Remove the amp and see if it is repairable.
Buy a used LR amp.

I replaced my head unit.
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the amp is toast quite yet but I would agree that it sounds as thought the amp isn't doing what it is supposed to for some reason. there maybe a few reasons why

Old 11-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I have a spare amp in my garage if you need one.

And remember this saying:

"Land Rover: Putting oil back in the ground since 1948!"

Also, Spike had this in his signature for a while...

"If it ain't leaking, it must be empty!"

Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Mudding

good to know... I looked up the hose and it was around 75 bucks. I'm not in a hurry to replace it, but atleast its simple.

I'm going to look into the stereo more this week. If all fails, I'll get an aftermarket head unit.... will a good one run all of the speakers? and is the amp in the stock head unit I take it??

Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

good to know... I looked up the hose and it was around 75 bucks. I'm not in a hurry to replace it, but atleast its simple.

I'm going to look into the stereo more this week. If all fails, I'll get an aftermarket head unit.... will a good one run all of the speakers? and is the amp in the stock head unit I take it??
The amp is actually mounted to the seat frame underneath the passenger side seat. I think an aftermarket should do ok. The stock system seems to put out decent sound too if you wanted to save a few bucks.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Mudding

heck yeah... I wasnt sure if the head unit powered the system or not. So the amp is seperate. I saw the changer under there, didnt look for an amp. if i can just replace it for cheap, I'm all for that. gotta have tunes.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

heck yeah... I wasnt sure if the head unit powered the system or not. So the amp is seperate. I saw the changer under there, didnt look for an amp. if i can just replace it for cheap, I'm all for that. gotta have tunes.
hell yeah you do. If you want my spare amp, you're welcome to it, just cover the shipping and it's yours.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Mudding

right on man... thanks. I'm heading out of my office for the day. I'll PM you about it tommorow.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
no lockers just the CDL full time 4wd and locks even power with the CDL engaged but most of the time you wont need it locked, the light on the dash will come on when its engaged and I can usually hear the difference.

I had to replace the CDL switch on mine to get the light to engage. That was after totally going thru the CDL linkage replacing most of the little parts due to extreme corrosion binding the shift mechanism.

Here's a good IPB of the system showing what I am talking about:
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-3...s-linkage.aspx

Rover's North is another excellent source of the correct parts at good prices. I use them as my primary source of new parts and all they do is Rovers, they all drive a variety of Rovers, have a great on-hand inventory and all of their staff are extremely knowledgeable and happy to help you. Give them a call with any questions you have. I usually look at their web pages and get them on the phone at the same time. I don't think you will find a better source for maintaining your Rover. I have made several purchases from them with no problems.

I had a Ram Charger myself in the early 80's, what a beast. Your Suzuki sounds interesting also. I am sure you will also enjoy your Rover. Best Wishes.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-15-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: New Rover Owner.... Advice??