Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Spark Plugs and Wires 97 DI

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Spark Plugs and Wires 97 DI

My new Plug Wires came via UPS today. I had them on within the hour.

I had installed new Bosch Plus (3 bucks each at Advance Auto) on Tuesday, one of the old wires had pulled apart on me, So I hurried in and called Rovers North and ordered their ProLine wires for 50 bucks, plus 10 for shipping.

I know a lot of people advocate the 8mm Magnecors, but I also saw a few DI owners that had not been happy with those. I have never had a problem with the RN ProLine stuff so far, so I went with those.

They are a slightly larger diameter than the Lucas OE wires that were on there. The sales guy at RN did not have the specs in front of him, the package does not state the size, neither is it marked on the wires. The Package does say "High Performance" and "Limited Lifetime Guarantee" along with the RN Part Number sticker.

They are a grey color, each wire is numbered to match the plug number and is molded fit same as the Lucas wires. I compared each one as I changed them, the even numbered wires were about 1/2 inch shorter than the OE, and the odd numbered were about 1/2 inch longer. Fit was good. The larger diameter was noticable, you had to be careful pushing them into the plastic clips not to damage the insulation.

After carefully ensuring all the wires were secure, I fired it up and took it for a spin. It drives like a new one. Runs quieter and smoother. Idle is steady at 750 RPM's. Smooth take-off, excellent power, winds up good, runs like a beast. I could not ask for more.

I thought it ran good before, but this incredible. Less than 100 Bucks total.

As far as I am concerned, the RN ProLine Wires are fine for the Discovery I.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad to hear all went sell.
Please keep us posted on how those wires hold up.
I had originally went with Duralast wires, first set lasted a year and was replaced under warranty.
Then I went though 3 more sets in 6 months.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I have been chasing a p1176 code for some time now and couldn't seem to narrow it down to anything....I think it's rover's Hail-mary or catch -all code, but decided to replace the 2 year old stock wires with magnecor 7mms and a new set of Bosch plat +2's. So far..so good, and it seems the accelleration is a bit better now, crossing my fingers on the code though.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after my fuel pump experiment is finished, I'll be doing plugs, wires, cap and rotor... I can't see spending big dough on Magnecors, but, I found some 8mm "water proof" wires for the 95 Disco 1at my local independently owned auto parts store for around half a hundred clams... I'll post up brand and quality when I get 'em...

Do we have to put "Disco 1" in all our posts now?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used 8.5mm MSD superconductors and plat. +4's and its turned out awesome!!!!!

the MSD's have far less resistance per foot then the megnacors as well as better RFI suppression i think they are around 40 ohms per foot!

Old 06-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by demonlarry

Do we have to put "Disco 1" in all our posts now?
No, just change it to say "better than a DII"