Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

NGK Iridium plugs and wires installed - small victory

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NGK Iridium plugs and wires installed - small victory

I know people have varied opinions and experiences on type/brand of plugs and wires and those are like... well, I got one too. Here it is(the opinion).

As long as NGK made plugs/wires for the Disco, I was going to use them. That's fanboy rhetoric, but it's based on good experience with them in the past. You are free to use whatever you want in your Disco, but I have certain brand loyalties like DeWalt even though I'll Harbor Freight it up for random tasks.

I've had the plugs and wires for months now, but due to what Maryland calls summer, I have been busy with the Harley and Mustang 'vert and haven't needed the Disco. I imagine it got sad and lonely and the battery died of a broken heart(or not starting it up often enough).

Time: Maybe an hour? I don't know. It has been suggested that I have ADD or ADHD... I honestly wasn't paying attention when the doc was saying it; cruel irony.

Old Plugs: NGK, but maybe only the second set ever put in out of 115k miles!

New Wires: Ooh! Pretty! (pic taken when half done)

RESULT: Runs great and sounds awesome!

The Engine Codes before said it was misfiring - multi and cylinder 5. I haven't cleared the code yet to see if it pops back up, but football is on!

The idle-after sounds much smoother and I imagine the misfiring is gone, but I'll check back in when I can be more certain.

Notes: This is ridiculously easy to do!

Grab a mile of extensions, a couple u-joints, a spark plug socket from Harbor Freight, and a victory beer. The method I used was to pull the boot off, replace one plug, put new wire in place of old one... repeat 8x

On the driver's side(US), I took off the intake for easy access. I should have cleaned the throttle body at this point, but football is on and I received about 30 mosquito bites; thank you again Maryland.

I'm a pretty big fan of DIY and saving money, so a big thanks to this forum for all the help!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the wires 8 mm? Where did you get them? How much were they?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Ditto!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds great. Might consider a fuel filter an induction cleaning and a can of 44K in the tank to really finish her off.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Danny - We switching plugs and wires again?

Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they look like 8mm magnecors... if i had to guess.

i bought my 8mm magnecors at apex performance (random toyota shop online i think) but theyre a magnecor distributor and the wires were $90 shipped to my door
i picked that shop after just doing a google search with the magnecor part number and them looking like they had the best price.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, I was just curios about the wires he mentioned. Let me check on the Kingsborne and I will PM you.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I was just curios about the wires he mentioned. Let me check on the Kingsborne and I will PM you.
it's all good Danny but at this point I can't remember what I bought.

actually I had battery cable problems last night with the D2. The car ceased and I had to clean out the sludge.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I hope you cleaned all the cables terminals - two on battery, couple of large ones inside the under hood fues box, and where the negative one from battery ties to frame. There's also a frame to engine bond cable (usually near the starter) that is also part of the circuit. Lots of people stop with just battery terminals, and sometimes that's enough... but sometimes not. And battery test with voltmeter, truck not running, head lights on, good volts to check for no dead cell in battery. A battery with a dead cell will show good charging volts, even meter OK with minimal load. But put real loads on it and it drops like a four foot cheater pipe. Of course, with that cold wave you'll have all the weak batteries come up for air. Must be what, like 75 there at night...brrrr

Quick Reply: NGK Iridium plugs and wires installed - small victory