Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No fuel from the pump.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts
Default No fuel from the pump. FIXED, Fixed again!!

New guy here and I know very little about the world of Land Rovers (be gentle)

I purchased a non-working 97 Discovery (Prod date 2/96) and the previous owner said the fuel pump needs replacement. I got it home and the battery was dead, so I removed it to charge it up. I noticed a number of wires were laying beneath the battery and are now flattened. Not sure where they go to, The fuel pump fuse has a 20 amp fuse,and the gas cap is missing.
I think I read where someone mentioned the gas cap had pressure on it when it was removed. Could it be so simple?? otherwise I will be checking the relay and pump for power.

I was a certified mechanic years ago and I don't have a problem digging in deep if I need to, just want to eliminate the easy stuff first.

My other problem is I don't have an owners manual and there are a lot of buttons and levers in this thing....

Last edited by jimvw57; 11-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Google. Rave

Old 10-08-2013, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The D1 has pump in the tank, filter under right rear wheel arch. Electric pump driven by multi function relay in plastic box on inner fender aft of battery. Circuit also goes thru an inertia (crash) switch on firewall, reset on top. Draws about 5 amps running. Should run a few seconds at key position 2. Fuel pressure test point (tire valve style) on passenger side fuel rail, expect 32-34 PSI.

The whole factory shop manual, electrical manual, owner manual, etc. is called the RAVE, free download links below.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Pull up cargo area carpet and remove the plate bolted to floor to access the pump, be sure you get the correct gas cap, not sure if your year has ael it makes a difference, round charcoal canister by batt is non ael

Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench

from what I have read, this doesn't have the AEL but it does say that it is a California emissions model. It does have the charcoal canister..

Vented or non-vented gas cap? I'm guessing non-vented

Just got done downloading the owners manual and the electrical manual. it took awhile but lots of good stuff in there. Thanks!!

** update** installed the battery, getting about 3 volts at the pump. Is this about right?? no nose from the pump at all, no pressure on the fuel rail. methinks it is time for a pump.

Last edited by jimvw57; 10-08-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvw57
from what I have read, this doesn't have the AEL but it does say that it is a California emissions model. It does have the charcoal canister..

Vented or non-vented gas cap? I'm guessing non-vented

Just got done downloading the owners manual and the electrical manual. it took awhile but lots of good stuff in there. Thanks!!

** update** installed the battery, getting about 3 volts at the pump. Is this about right?? no nose from the pump at all, no pressure on the fuel rail. methinks it is time for a pump.
Man, you bought one helluva project for a first timer. Not too tough though.

Non AEL.

I use a vented, non-vented caused a vacuum in fuel tank. Seems this caused a stink last time I mentioned it.....but I could care less, I get 18 mpg.

You want the Workshop Manual that goes with the Rave too. http://www.landroverresource.com/doc...hop_Manual.pdf

If you didn't use this link then your using an older version. Few even know that is the last updated version.

You should get 5 volts off the fuel float line and 12 volts off line to pump motor. Black is ground on a Rover....always. You only get a few seconds to test pump due to the timer in the multi-function unit. Best to test the pump out of the tank and give it 12 volts direct off battery with jumpers. That's how I shorten my time messing around.

The connector to the pump is nothing more than a short pigtail with another connector under the floor pan to the right. If you see any sign of melting/brown on either of the two connectors instead of white it's not getting full voltage to pump, lousy connection. Take apart, clean corrosion, dielectric grease it, snap back together.

Keep asking questions.

How long was the fuel cap off?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Pro Wrench

Thanks! I probably was past the few seconds to measure the 12v. The gas cap was missing when I got the truck Sunday so it's anyones guess as to how long it has been off. Tank has very little gas in it, I threw in a few gallons just to see if it was out of gas instead of a bad pump (no change)
I will take a look at the connections. I did order a pump off Ebay, it has the pigtail, gasket and 2 connector repair kits for the fuel lines so I should be in good shape (I hope)

I have picked up projects in much worse shape than this one. This one is at least all in one piece.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

You'll enjoy working on it, they're so simple once you get the overall concept, piece of cake. Do you plan on keeping it or is this a turn and burn project?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench

I sold my 1986 GMC Jimmy a few months ago as the motor was just too small to pull my snowmobiles. A great truck by itself, just not a work horse (or a work pony) My youngest son and girlfriend just had a baby and he can't fit the carseat in the back seat of his Cavalier convert, so we needed something with a bit more room. Found this Discovery on Facebook and it was too hard to pass up for the price.

I'm guessing we will be keeping this one for awhile, His girlfriend makes excuses to drive by and look at it. ( not running yet)It looks to have a lot of options and is in nice shape!! I heard the motor run briefly before I got it but I knew (from Previous owner) it needed a pump. It came home on the end of a tow strap.

Other vehicles I have are 97 Mountaineer, 93 Cavalier convert, 2005 Grand Prix and 2009 Smart.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Pro Wrench

Lets try a picture...

Name:  DSCN1345_zps3bce2da6.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  98.4 KB

Not bad.. needs a good cleaning tho....

Last edited by jimvw57; 10-10-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply: No fuel from the pump.