Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No owners manual-97 Discovery 1 4wd all the time??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No owners manual-97 Discovery 1 4wd all the time??

So, pretty new Landrover owner, and I've been posting a couple of times and I'm confused as to whether or not my 97 Discovery is supposed to be 4WD all the time in High or is supposed to be regular 2 WD until you desire to go into 4WD. It's in 4HI now as i can feel the front tires grabbing but not sure if this is good for it be in all the time. A little insight would really help me out. I thought I saw a link on here once to actually download the user manual. I just had to replace the radiator and I"m fixing the leaking sun roofs, got new headliner to install after but I"m enjoying the truck as best that i can . Thanks a bunch.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It is 4WD all the time. The low and high are ratios of reduction, for going in a very steep area you might use low. The lock simply puts equal power to front axle and rear axle.

I have a free manual for you called the RAVE. Rover Automated Viewing Environment. Really means Rovers A'nt Very Economical. Has the shop manual, owners manaul, electrical manual, body shop manual, overhaul manual. Download in links below.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In normal driving the transfer box stick should be rearward and to the right. If you say you can "feel the front tires grabbing" the stick is probably to the left which locks the center differential. Driving on pavement with the diff lock engaged can damage all sorts of driveline components. There is no 2WD option on these trucks. Normal driving is done in 4 Wheel hi-range with the center diff unlocked.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: Driving on pavement with the diff lock engaged can damage all sorts of driveline components

A very important point! Around where I drive, lock would be used on pavement for things like towing a boat on a ramp that is covered in gunk, etc. Otherwise just off road on sand, mud, grass, etc. Can't speak for snow, last time we had a white Christmas was 1989, and none before that for 125 years.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent feedback. Thank you. I reviewed the manuals and the 4WD selector is in 4HI and to the bottom right. WHich I believe is where it is supposed to be. The dash light has never been on either so I think I'm good. A great resource this forum is. Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Something I always wanted to ask

Originally Posted by CCRovers
In normal driving the transfer box stick should be rearward and to the right. If you say you can "feel the front tires grabbing" the stick is probably to the left which locks the center differential. Driving on pavement with the diff lock engaged can damage all sorts of driveline components. There is no 2WD option on these trucks. Normal driving is done in 4 Wheel hi-range with the center diff unlocked.
OK. I understand what 'locking the center diff' means...sends equal power front and back. At any given time any diff will send power to the wheel that slips so by locking the center you have a better chance of having some grip because you are sending power to both axles. Fine.

Why are the front/back axles unable to handle the unequal wheel rotation rates as any other 2WD vehicle would? I presume it is related to the gearing and geometry inside those diffs, but would love to hear from experts to give me just a bit better understanding of why the above statement is true.

Hope I don't sound too stupid.