Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No Service engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Service engine light?

Hi everybody, ive driven junk for a number of years and im now driving a 95 discovery thats badly ragged out. What i cant understand is after a little death wobble, a nasty oil leak from what i think is a rear main seal, a dash that looks and sounds as though it might fall off, no interior lights, a tranny thats on its last leg and broken wires to the brake fluid cap. I don't have one warning light on. The gauges seem to work and the dash lights work. Ive never come across a way to disable the service engine light other then pulling a bulb but the service engine light comes on when you turn it on and goes out. From what ive read on here it doesn't seem typical. Engine wise it does run well, better since i cleaned the TB but i wouldnt call driving this thing relaxing. Ive been wondering if anyone else has come across this in the past.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The light should come on when you start the truck to let you know the light is working, then extinguish if there are no faults. With a 95, you should have a little display on what looks like a large relay under your passenger seat.

Not posisitve, but the above is for the Check engine light. The service engine light is set from a timer that goes off every 86K miles. It is just an emissions reminder to service your O2 sensors and check the cats. That is how it is on 96 and up.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the info, im still figuring this thing out but i can't believe the dash isn't lit up like a christmas tree.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Obviously this is not your problem as yours comes on at start up but when I bought mine I never paid attention to whether or not it came on at start up, realized about 3 months later that they had gone in to the dash and covered the light with electrical tape before I bought it. LOL. Some people. But lesson learned for me. Fortunately it was only on because of the O2's so no biggy. That was the only code stored. Like I said lesson learned. I don't think from your description that you have anything necessarily that would set off the CEL. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Drifting

Thanks the good luck is needed, what i do like about this vehicle compared to others is it seems like lots of effort and a little cash can get you down the road. My previous dd was the scout in my avatar and the rover even in its state gives more creature comforts but im wrenching more for sure.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:09 PM
4wd Low

You should also have a check engine light which does a bulb check upon start up. it is located in the top left section of the gauge cluster above the brake light. If the light does not light up it may be burned out, removed or covered up.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Thanks for that, i haven't seen one light on the left hand side of the dash other then the RPM gauge at night. With the condition its in and the dash looking the way it does im almost positive someone's been in there but it starts right up and runs great.