Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No start, new battery, but can jump

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No start, new battery, but can jump

Well today I went to start the DI to drive it to work because of the D2's issue and I didn't have any battery power at all. Nothing, not even head lights. I got out and checked the battery voltage and it was at 13.5. I thought this was odd and decided what would happen if I tried to jump it? I jumped it with the D2 and it started right up like nothing was wrong. I've had this issue for a few weeks and thats why I bought a new battery for it.
Why will it not start with the battery but can be jump started?
Thanks.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you read volts with no load, like head lights on, then it would read high. Under load is what counts. Look for a bad frame ground connection (end of black battery cable down by bottom of radiator) and/or battery terminal connection. And those two big terminals in the front of the underhood fuse box. Since it worked with jumpers, first place to check are the battery post terminals. I always meter to the center of the post, and compare to just the terminals.

And new battery can go bad, have a dead cell, etc. One time I sat one a thumb tack......

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-17-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had this exact same problem with a 4runner.. After trying stupid hard to diagnos it. I decided to clean the battery terminals. Upon removal of the negative battery cable the clamp part broke right off. White the part looked fine it was weak? Basically it can be a bad connection either positive it negative, the reason jumping works is because you clamp it to the cable.. In that case it really could be the parts that mount to the battery end. Since the rest of the cable seems to conduct fine..

Old 08-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your terminal connectors that connect to the battery post. I had this same issue recently, went to get another battery, tried a bunch of other ****, and was baffled that my car would start whenever it got jumped. Turned out when I was cleaning my cables for corrosion, one of the clamps had gotten lose. I just bought a new one for like a dollar at autozone, took the old one off, and everything ran good as new.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another possible candidate is the ground forthe starter to the frame. Mine had corroded terribly and would give intermittent start or absolutely nothing when key was turned. When you jump it, it gets ground thru the cables and possibly the other vehicle.

I retermiunated mine to a new spot on the frame. AntiChrist888 (Tom) makes and sells excellent replacement cables if you want to get with him.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just yesterday, I was going to mamma's to eat supper and my car wouldn't start. It had been storming but was down to a soft rain by the time I was leaving. I got no noise when I tried to crank. I thought I would get to try my jumstarter for the first time, but I checked and cleaned the terminals. Got power immediately. I should have checked it before as I had an intermittant get code for the radio. I thanked the car for being so cooperative....