Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No Windows Working, I've tried Everything

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Windows Working, I've tried Everything

Okay, I've been chasing this problem down for the past week. The hard rains today finally sent me over the edge...none of my windows work, including sunroofs. While driving down the road on a sunny day I was rolling up the rear window and it suddenly went out, no warning, along with everything else. I've resoldered two ECU's, installed an ECU that didn't have a dry solder, checked all fuses, checked all relays I'm aware of (the window relay is in the glovebox correct?), checked all the switches, unhooked battery to "reset the codes." I don't know what to do...I've searched all over the internet. Where should I go next? Any help is appreciated, I'm at a standstill, luckily Tennessee isn't getting much rain...

Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Perhaps a ground is not connected properly. Section L1 from the electrical troubleshooting guide talks about grounds that if they were not there, would keep everyting dead. Of course it has detailed schematics, photos, locations of all parts. So if you are operating a switch, the ground is applied thru the switch. If you are operating the rear window isolation switch, it is removing the ground from the rear switches. So if you have a break in the ground lead, that would stop it all. Seems like the switch plate may be the place to start, after getting the manual pages that apply.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Look in electrical troubleshooting manual, section Z5 page 32, lower right photo - connector C3003 provides the grounds to all the window switch leads. You will see that number in several places in the schematic diagrams. But before you take apart the console, this can be eliminated by reading the ground side of a window switch with an ohm meter to a chassis ground.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you refering to the Rave? I see no Z's in any of the pages..there's not even a damn index. Sorry, I'm just frustrated

Old 08-16-2011, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

In the complete RAVE download there is the workshop manual, owner's manual, body/interior manual, and the electrical troubleshooting manual, which is the one I refer to. It is a slightly larger file than the workshop manual. File name was "etlj970x", in directory "lj".

In the index, it will list Conector. Go to the connector number desired (C3003), click that on, it will offer you view (the end of the connector and pin layout) and location (photos - in the Z section). But start with "Circuit", section L1 for Power Windows, which shows the actual circuit diagram or map.