Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

An offer I couldn't refuse!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011 | 12:24 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default An offer I couldn't refuse!

Had a guy come up to me today and ask how much for the rover, I'vee been asked this question a couple times and I always say $4,000 WITH OUT lights, radio, roof rack, brush bar, winch, or muds tires. just the rover, and the guy said $3,500. I'm contemplating this deal because I know that I paid $1,700 so this would be $1,800 profit thus freeing up money for a snorkel, sliders, old man emu lift, a 9,000 lbs waren winch, and possible a few skids. I'd try to buy the sliders, snorkel, winch, used. I know that this is the most I will ever be offered.

I would probably buy another D1 not sure of the year.

I'm not to sure why I started a thread, but i just felt like I should share this

Oh by the way the guy that wants to buy my disco is planing on taking a rover to Africa. That makes me feel better knowing she will live a good life.

Last edited by collin Barrows; 10-15-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2011 | 12:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Around here junk goes for $3500 so I'd make him get out his wallet and come up with a higher number if you plan to sell. To be honest though its pointless to sell one just to buy another as I can bet you'll have a real hard time finding another for so cheap. As someone in another thread put it "the devil you know is often better than the devil you dont know" (or something like that).

I may have it wrong but you're saying you want to sell yours, make $3500, find another Rover for $1700 and then have $1800 to spend on the new ride? If I have it right you'll have a very hard time finding a Rover for $1700 that isnt total trash.

Not sure about Georgia but up here you could grab 6 grand for yours without a problem so $3500 to me seems very very low. I know the blue book value isnt all that high but these vehicles cant really be based on KBB when it comes to actual value. They are hard to come by in any shape, running ones with no problems are near impossible to find and fetch over 5 grand up here no matter old they are and regardless of mileage.

From the pics yours looks to be a pretty nice machine and I just cant picture being able to buy and build something nicer for $3500. When I was in the market I would have broken my wrist getting my wallet out if something like yours came along for $3500.

Old 10-15-2011 | 01:25 AM
|
Rock Crawling

I'm not selling the rack, lights, brush bar, cb radio, fog lights or anything else, I;m just thinking of selling the rover and putting all the accessories on her again, I've seen a couple of D2 go for 2100 down here and D1 can range from 1400-2500. and most D2 go for 2700-4000

Old 10-15-2011 | 01:27 AM
|
Rock Crawling

From the pics yours looks to be a pretty nice machine and I just cant picture being able to buy and build something nicer for $3500. When I was in the market I would have broken my wrist getting my wallet out if something like yours came along for $3500.[/quote]

thanks, the same to you

Old 10-15-2011 | 01:40 AM
Rock Crawling

Man I need to move to Georgia, people up here go nuts with pricing and they can sell them all day long. There's a 96 for sale right now about 20 miles from my house with a blown engine listed for 2 grand and that seems to be the ballpark for most parts Rovers.

When we were looking to buy one we didnt see anything under 5 grand that didnt need a pile of work, even the auction houses get crazy money for D1's.

Are they just not big in Georgia or are there a ton of them for sale? Up here they are few and far between so people can ask just about anything for them.

Old 10-15-2011 | 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Go for it, use www.statewidelist.com to search all of georgia grouped by city, and go to Red Top auto auction in Cartersville, 1500 vehicles a week or more, plus all repos from Atlanta area, etc. On line site, and they let yu drive them on the lot to test.

Old 10-15-2011 | 08:20 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
Man I need to move to Georgia, people up here go nuts with pricing and they can sell them all day long. There's a 96 for sale right now about 20 miles from my house with a blown engine listed for 2 grand and that seems to be the ballpark for most parts Rovers.

When we were looking to buy one we didnt see anything under 5 grand that didnt need a pile of work, even the auction houses get crazy money for D1's.

Are they just not big in Georgia or are there a ton of them for sale? Up here they are few and far between so people can ask just about anything for them.

I just saw a D1 on craigs list Atlanta for $1,100 all that was wrong was the possible blown engine. I think it has to do with location. Hmmmm maybe I'll start flipping discos, and p38s

Old 10-15-2011 | 09:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by collin Barrows
Hmmmm maybe I'll start flipping discos, and p38s
Like this?

RIP- Antonio's Range Rover - YouTube

Old 10-16-2011 | 12:23 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Spike- hahah not quite what i had in mind, but hey you can still part the rover out for around $1,500 if you play your cards right!

I'm still debating on if I want to sell her or not. On the one hand I've put $450 in parts that I cant get out ( 2 in lift, coil, head lights, and other odd ends) and I have no real reason to sell her other than to make a enough money to buy a slighlty newer disco and be able to add a couple more off road items. let me know what yall think.

Thanks collin

Last edited by collin Barrows; 10-16-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2011 | 01:07 AM
Rock Crawling

Unless you can find one that's immaculate I'd just hang onto what you have. I hate to say it but aside from the guys on this forum nobody takes care of Rovers. It's really a mixed bag buying a used one and there are far more out there that are garbage than there are nice ones. The reliable ones that are owned by an enthusiast are rarely up for sale and on the occasion that you find one they are really pricey. You'll probably see 25-30 POS Rovers for every mediocre one on the market. To me it just seems like to much of a risk, at least you know what kind of headache you have now, you never know what someone else is passing on to you.

Quick Reply: An offer I couldn't refuse!