Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

"Oh God, what have we done?!"

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the kit was made by a company that has long been out of business. My friend bought it off of the internet out of a junkyard in California a couple years back.

These particular kits were made for the Defenders, but they will fit any GEMS 4.0.

First, you have to remove the Airbox, MAF, upper intake and throttle body, and velocity stacks. All that takes less than an hour.

The adapter plate bolts in place of the velocity stacks, and the supercharger bolts to that. We used Copper silicone in place of gaskets. There was some light modifications that needed to be made to a hex wrench, due to some of the locations of the bolts. Then, you have to install the wastegate, then the new throttle body.

Obviously, with more air, you need more fuel. Your normal injectors are still functional, they just run at full duty cycle (they remain static, meaning they just open and never close under boost). There is a secondary fuel injector in the throttle body that is controlled by a separate computer box. I'll get more information about that computer when I get the chance. The computer adds more fuel through that secondary injector by reading how much vacuum there is using a standard run-of-the-mill MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor from General Motors. The secondary injector is plumbed straight to the fuel rail by removing entire fuel pressure testing valve, and replacing it with a hose fitting. Standard fuel injector hose and clamps are used. It seemed to us that a standard fuel pump moves enough fuel for both the SC and normal injectors.

There is a bracket that bolts to the engine using two of the bolts that go into the water pump housing. On that bracket, there is an idler pulley that is adjustable up and down, about an inch or so. We did have a bit of an issue with the serpentine belt. The kit my friend got came with a 7 ridge, 100 inch belt, which was too long. The next 7 ridge belt size down was 97.5 inches, which was too short with the idler moved down, and too long with the idler moved up. My friend drilled another hole in between, and that gave us enough slack in the belt to allow us to install it.

The computer has three wires, two grounds, and a hot. We used the ECM ground, and the fuel pump hot wire, a wire that only has power when the key is on.

We changed the thermostat with a 160* since we were in there, and changed to a colder spark plug to lower the chance of detonation. Also, you have to run new vacuum line for the brake booster, as well as other small stuff (I can't remember what other vacuum lines we had to deal with).

Then, turn the key, and go!!!

Sorry if it's a difficult read, I'm just going off memory. That's how simple it really is!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

LOL I'll get the vid up just as soon as my friend uploads it. I forgot my camera both days!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:19 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RPi Engineering was doing a S/C D90 project years ago. Same supercharger I believe, different name. They gave up on the project as there were just too many 'other' modifications required to operate the 4.0 or 4.6 safely in this configuration. Not saying it can't be done (as obviously it has been); just a word of caution.

Read about half-way down "Warning against Supercharging the 4.0 or 4.6 Engine"
RPi Engineering - V8 Engine and Component List

Edit - better link: http://www.v8engines.com/engine-3b-big-1.htm#Middle-pic

Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Mudding
Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

i cant wait for the vid for this...

Old 06-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, what fun. Wouldn't trust my little 4.0 on boost, but more power to you. Literally.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Mudding

I do love how simple a supercharger is (or can be...) but before risking all the breakdowns and issues involved with it, I'd probably be more likely to stuff an LS1 under the hood.

Although - I don't plan on touching anything until mine quits.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, my friend bolted it on with the full understanding that at some point, he was more than likely going to scatter the bottom end or have some other catastrophic failure. It's not a daily driver (and he said repeatedly that he wouldn't do something like this to a DD) but just a truck to have fun with.

I'm still waiting for him to upload the vids. He's a busy dude, so I bet it'll take a few days.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had this posted under another thread a while back...
YouTube - ‪Pete Littler takes his Disco for a strole...‬‏

Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jbm6287
i had this posted under another thread a while back...
YouTube - ‪Pete Littler takes his Disco for a strole...‬‏
That is precisely what I was thinking about when we were bolting it up.