Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Oil Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011 | 05:09 PM
TReK

As long as you pay close attention and do NOT overtighten the pan bolts, you shouldn't leak. If you use an acid brush and apply a very thin film of RTV on both sides of the cork gasket and make sure the mating surfaces are free of oil/dirt, you will not have to worry about leaks for many years.

Old 08-17-2011 | 05:42 PM
Winching
From: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.

Not really the leaks that trouble me. It is what I found inside the pan. A mechanic before me used RTV spareingly. Most of it looks as if it was in the oil suction tube screen. Even if you use as little as you say. There will still be some contamination of RTV in the oil pan, which will travel throughout the system and wreck havoc. I say only the gasket makeing impaired should stick to RTV.

Old 08-17-2011 | 06:23 PM
TReK

I say BULL**** to your magic gaskets. I've owned and worked on Rovers for going on nineteen years. Get off your high horse. RTV, used properly, WORKS.

Old 08-17-2011 | 07:58 PM
Pro Wrench

the problem with rtv is, if it is tightened down too tight while wet it squishes in leaving little nubs that break off inside your pan. but if used right there shouldn't be any problems.

Old 08-18-2011 | 03:04 PM
Winching

Why take the chance with RTV when a simple handmade gasket is both better than the cork and silicone. Paul Grant, have you ever looked inside of an engine that someone used RTV spareingly. Regardless of how good you are with it, there will still be contamination. That contamination has the potential to do some serious harm. So why bother. High horse? What exactly are you implying? Are you saying it makes more sense to contaminate your engine with any amount of RTV over the sensible solution? Be real. It seems as though we have a slight communication problem. I'm giving good advise and you are countering it with non-sense, could be bitterness. Let me clear things up for you Paul, I will be leaving in a year for Korea and do not want to further engage in Land Rover part rebuilds.

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 08-18-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2011 | 11:15 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME
Not really the leaks that trouble me. It is what I found inside the pan. A mechanic before me used RTV spareingly. Most of it looks as if it was in the oil suction tube screen. Even if you use as little as you say. There will still be some contamination of RTV in the oil pan, which will travel throughout the system and wreck havoc. I say only the gasket makeing impaired should stick to RTV.
I call BS also.

I think the RTV impaired should stick to making their own gaskets if they don't know how to do it correctly with factory gaskets and RTV.

If the mechanic before you used RTV sparingly as you state, why do you say he used 10 gallons in your thread regarding a rod knock? 10 gallons is not sparingly. Keep your stories straight before you tell someone how to make their LR repairs more time consuming and costly.

Last edited by Chris-bob; 08-19-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-19-2011 | 12:48 PM
TReK

Look, it's clear to me that LRD2 prefers "hillbilly" repair. In fact he just stated that on another thread. It just makes me wonder what kind of mechanic he is or what kind of mechanic he brings his car to for repairs.

We are dealing with vehicles that are between 12 and 17 years old! Rather than worrying about the type of gasket material you personally fabricate for an oil pan gasket, make sure you check your oil on a regular basis. I just read another thread about someone loosing four quarts of oil but they weren't sure when they lost it because they only check their oil once or twice per 5K interval!!!! This is the stuff that's important on an elderly vehicle. Obsessing over a gasket reminds of of the old saying that 'for the want of a nail the ship was lost.'

Also, LRD2 spare me the lectures about engines, I tear down a couple every month and have been doing it for many years so I am well aware of what's commonly found in these engines. More often than not, it's not the remains of RTV that I find but the thick sludge that comes from failing to change the oil on a regular basis.

You sound like a kid who just graduated from auto repair school hell bent on showing off his new found knowledge.

Old 08-19-2011 | 06:17 PM
Winching

You wish you had my knowledge and talents, that's what it is. AHH, all clear now. Time tested, and this kid probably has twenty years on you.

Old 08-19-2011 | 08:33 PM
TReK

All I can say is...Wow.

Old 08-19-2011 | 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Dr. Grant,

As you have performed numerous dissections of the engines, what do you recommend to remove as much sludge as possible from a still functioning engine? Is the sludge mostly in the oil pan? Splashed onto the crank and rod bearings? Or more in the valve cover areas? As an example, would it be worthwhile to remove the oil pan and clean with solvent, or would there still be 80% of the sludge elsewhere inside the engine? As always, thanks for your help and guidance.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket