Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ordered New Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ordered New Hoses

Well I got tired of the P117x codes coming up so I called AB today and ordered new hoses that connect the valve covers to the intake along with a new oil separator and a new thermostat and gasket. Total with shipping was 50 bucks. They have that funky hose that is a different size on each end for ten bucks so I went ahead and ordered the correct ones, tired of trying to force the wrong size on.

I will see what results I get.

I saw on their website that it shipped same day if you ordered before noon EST. I was on the phone with them at 11:57 A.M. and it has already shipped. Talk about fast turnaround.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-03-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need to do the same as well... I have a fuel line on as a replacement for that darn oil seperator to intake hose.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Baja

I currently have a section of hose that was originally a washing machine hot water hose on mine. I keep getting codes like p1178 or so.

The hoses should be in tomorrow.

Does that oil seperator merely pull out or how do you remove it?

EDIT: From the other threads I saw, you can either drill it out or just ****** it out. Anybody got a better method?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-02-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Baja
Default Hoses Arrived Today

My order arrived today UPS Ground. I went ahead and changed the worst fitting one today, the one from the driver's side valve cover to the intake.
The new one was formed to shape and was a perfect fit with a slight amount of WD40 on the exterior metal nipples. I had to split the old one lengthwise to get it off. I had used a piece of fuel line and it was just a shade too long to fit just right. Now the correct one fits much better, not bad for 10 bucks.

I was unsure of how the oil separator comes out, I did a search on the RAVE, found the descpription and sketch showing the system, but no information on removal.

So I searched this forum and found a couple of threads regarding the separator removal. It says to pilot drill the center of the old one, while holding it with vise grips. then just drill it out. Also said new one required minor sanding to get it in.

Also I had screwed up and left the oil separator off of my initial phone call being in a big hurry. I called back a little later but missed the daily package pickup. My order had already shipped. The sales guy was kind enough to offer to just drop it in an envelop and put it in the outgoing mail that day to save me a second shipping charge. The oil separator is pretty small, so I am waiting on it to arrive.

I did go ahead and pull the hose loose from the valve cover to see what the device looked like. It was sticking up slightly and had oil on the top of it. I sprayed a small amount of WD40 right on it and the neck it sits in. A few minutes later, I was able to my fingernail and lift it slightly with light fingertip pressure. I left it like that, put the hose back over it and will change it out as soon as the new separator arrives.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Baja

Today, I got the oil separator in the mail, so I went ahead pulled the old one out with a pair of needle nose pliers. The new piece went in quite easily, just had to tap it down a little. The hardest part was getting the new hose down over that nipple.

I also unscrewed the adapter from the side of the intake to see how messy it was,sprayed a little WD40 inside the adapter, wiped it out, wiped out inside the hole in the intake and put it all back together.

It runs better now than it ever has. Still need to clear the Check Engine Light, but I am relatively sure that will take care of the occasional P117X codes I was getting.

That was the best 50 bucks I have spent on it yet. I highly recommend the hoses and oil separator from AB (also got a new thermostat and gasket while I was ordering).

Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Flamer...

Are you talking about the flame trap on top of the valve cover that vents oil vapors to the plenum intake ?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Baja

Yes, I am. The old one looks like it could just be cleaned and put back in, but a new piece was only 5 bucks. When I first got bought my Discovery, the original hose on there was coming apart from the inside, it was literally crumbling.

Never heard it called a flame trap, but I guess that is apretty good description of it. I don't recall seeing anything like it on any other cars.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

yep...or to be super **** and official, the "positive crankcase ventilation breather filter". Just soak that sucka in gas or "gunk" (cleaning solvent) and tap all the carbon $#!T out of it... rinse and repeat for best results...

it is a re-usable part for sure.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Baja

Yeah, I figured that out after getting one, but that's cool.