Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Original Radio Re-Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Radio Re-Wiring Question

All,

Bought my 99 Disco 1 in January, and have learned a remarkable amount reading through these forums--easily the best forums I've encountered for any car I've owned (well, Acura Vigor owners are also a pretty dedicated bunch, tbh). Hope to keep this thing for a long time.

Anyway, my disco came with an aftermarket stereo head that squeeled and buzzed and then just quit working. I was at the pull a part for another car, and happened across another disco 1 with the original stereo still installed, so I nabbed it for $10 and am trying to install it in my dash. The code is helpfully written on the unit.

I had to undo the wiring harness that the aftermarket used, and I had to find and buy a new CD wire, because the original had been cut. I've got all the wires connected currently, but no power at all.

I suspect this has to do with a thicker yellow wire labled "main power" that is not connected to anything--but to be honest, wiring is not my strong suit and I have no idea what is or isn't right. Any help would be greatly appreciated--I love the idea of having the original unit installed, becuase this thing is bone-stock and in really good shape otherwise.

I've attached a photo--the yellow wire is on the driver's side.

Attached Thumbnails Original Radio Re-Wiring Question-radio-wiring.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It's been awhile since I did mine but I thought that thick yellow wire went to the cd changer under the front passenger seat? I recall having a bitch of a time with my after market install. Something between the small yellow and small red, which was constant vs accessory power?? There was a lot of wires in that little space....

Old 06-29-2017, 06:48 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

Get the etlj970x.pdf file from the link in my signature and start on page 154. Not sure if you have the 'regular' or 'premium' radio. There are separate sections for each.

Here is the pinout on the back of the head unit...

and here are the wire color codes.

According to the diagrams main power is carried by a "light green & orange (LGO)" wire into pin 7 on the grey connector (labeled 'A' in the diagram) in your picture.

Best idea is to test the yellow wire for power with a multi-meter to test if it has power in the various ignition key positions. Power should be present with the key in the '1' position.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Thanks, WaltNYC--I had seen that pinout before, but wiring diagrams look like a foreign language to me. But it should have been obvious to check the yellow wire for power, so I'll start there and will update when I can.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Drifting

quick update on an old post--the yellow power wire runs through the main fuse box under the dash, but then is split with it's own fuse after the box--that fuse was blown in mine. Replaced that, and after studying the RAVE, realized that the purple wire is the constant batter power wire. Connected, and voila--sound.

Now, the tape deck won't accept a tape, but at least I'm listening to the news again!