Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Overheating, waterfall sounds, and a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 08:18 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating, waterfall sounds, and a/c problems

Hey all, I bought a 99 discovery 1 back in June. When I got the Disco it had over 200k miles and wasn't running. I've replaced the clutch fan, belt, lower radiator hose, head gaskets, thermostat, IAC valve, and water pump. The car still needs some work but it's running and driving about 40 minutes a day which is a big step up. My major issues are that I've still got overheating and gurgling behind the dash, despite having done everything I could to increase the efficacy of the cooling system. I don't seem to be noticeably losing any coolant, so I don't think there's a leak. I've also tried to bleed the coolant system a few times now, to the point that the expansion tank is now over full, but to no avail. Possibly related problems below.

I've noticed that when you turn the engine on while stone cold, it starts up about 1k rpm, but over time as it warms up drops to just under 750. When it reaches this point (and the temp gauge reaches where it normally sits, a little under 9 o clock) the oil light comes on. Oil pressure seems fine, though I haven’t had it tested, and the oil level isn’t dropping. Nothing too milky on the dipstick either. Also I’ve noticed the rpm doesn’t adjust to account for the a/c. It doesn’t outright kill the engine in park, but it will in reverse, and drags rpms down at idle to where, over time, it may shut off. Due to this I rarely if ever turn on the a/c (thankfully Savannah is finally cooling off with the weather)

im not sure what to do next, so if anyone could give me some direction that’d be a huge help. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

The water flow sound is due to air in the cooling system.

Get the front end up high if you can for bleeding the system.

1. Leave both caps off.
2. Keep coolant to the proper reservoir level.
3. Start the truck with heater on Max, but have the blower at #1 position.
4. Look for air bubbles coming to the surface of the radiator as the thermostat will eventually open.
Put a bucket/pan under car to catch any coolant.
5. Keep coolant to the proper reservoir level.
6. When you feel heat coming from the inside heater vents that is a good thing.
7. Close up the radiator, and put the cap on the reservoir.

A couple of hours later return to car and fill reservoir to proper level. Name:  H5uKDcM.png
Views: 170
Size:  987 Bytes
Remember to be patient with step#4 as the truck will need to heat up to get the thermostat to open.