Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Overland Canadian road trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:39 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overland Canadian road trip

I've been working on my Disco(s) for a few years now and never had the nerve to drive more than a few miles from the shop. I decided to get a Roof Top Tent, being Canadian I went with a company out of Alberta called Treeline Outdoors (Treeline Outdoors). I figured why not save on shipping and drive out there and get it (I reside on Vancouver Island, about 1,000km away).

So I bought a stack of Back Road Map Books (http://backroadmapbooks), a GPS, packed a set of spanners along with several other tools, and headed out. I took a southern route through the Rockies to get there. Then headed up through Kananaskis country and returned through the north via Jasper and the Cariboo.

First day went bad. Really Bad. Stopped at a lodge in the middle of a large national park. I got out of the car and looked at my key and only half of it was there. The other half was in the ignition. Long story short, I disassembled the ignition and hitch-hiked with the barrel 120km to a locksmith, got some new keys cut, hitch-hiked back and got it going. Travel with a spare key, people!

Other then overheating my brakes (really really not fun) and one of my cats giving out and making a terrible racket, I/we survived. Also, the tent is seriously awesome, really well made, and makes trips like these so much better.

Just thought I'd share the story and some pics in case anyone needs some inspiration to get out of town.

PS- A whole convoy of Rovers (mostly Discos) honked at me in a tiny town called Clinton (I think). If any of you are reading this send me a message, I'd like to join you next time, travelling alone is a little scary at times.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Those are some beautiful pictures. Hoping to do the same through southern Wyoming in the next several years.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Great pics and thank you for sharing!

That was probably the BC Roverlanders club. They tend to head out that way.

I have been thinking about the tent on my Discovery, but have not seen one out in the wild... I think I know what my next addition will be.

The following users liked this post:
hankwhite (08-03-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

That looks amazing. Great pics.

Man the price on that tent is why I don't own one. Really nice. But is it that nice?? I've bought entire running driving cars for less.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:30 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Those are great pix and it sounds like an awesome trip. Did you know that two of your pics are now on Treeline Outdoors website?

Which makes me ask the next question....at the risk of being rude, cynical, and antagonistic.... do you have any affiliation with the company?

Please accept my apologies in advance if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

edit: upon closer inspection I can see that you designed their website. Still not sure if that passes the smell test however.

Last edited by WaltNYC; 08-01-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

On another site that might raise an eyebrow. Here, where the first post in the D1 section is some nonsense about the "NEW AWESOME 2017 FORD F250!!!!!!!!", I say meh...
At least its a D1 making a trip with some cool pics.
Honestly I want to see more pics!

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Those are great pix and it sounds like an awesome trip. Did you know that two of your pics are now on Treeline Outdoors website?

Which makes me ask the next question....at the risk of being rude, cynical, and antagonistic.... do you have any affiliation with the company?

Please accept my apologies in advance if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

edit: upon closer inspection I can see that you designed their website. Still not sure if that passes the smell test however.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 AM
TReK

Fish, I generally agree with you that it is no big deal, but the original post makes it sounds as if the guy just found this great tent web site coincidentally. I'd have absolutely zero problem if he had a stake or was a vendor to that company and made it clear.

The pics are great and the trip sounds really awesome, I just don't like being somewhat deceived by the first paragraph and story he tells.

Again, I'm totally fine with the affiliation/relationship, would rather just have it out in the open so that I don't have reservations about everything else posted by Hank. He obviously can make some very cool contributions to the board.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the disclaimer I guess I should have included in my first comment, (obviously if my goal was sneaky advertising I wouldn't have included some of the same photos that are on their website, but anyway):

I work as a freelance designer. Treeline Outdoors contracted me to do their website and some other design work. I'm not an employee nor do they hire me in any marketing/advertising capacity. This is how I heard of their product.

I paid full price for the tent. I mainly bought it from them because of the Canadian dollar (they have a separate store for CDN). And obviously, I know the owners.

I lent them some of my photos which is why you see my disco all over their site.

Hope that clears things up!

And ya, Shiftonthefly1, the tent did cost more then the car it is mounted on! Almost double in fact. But I feel like it will last. I have seen some used ones around also.

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Fish, I generally agree with you that it is no big deal, but the original post makes it sounds as if the guy just found this great tent web site coincidentally. I'd have absolutely zero problem if he had a stake or was a vendor to that company and made it clear.

The pics are great and the trip sounds really awesome, I just don't like being somewhat deceived by the first paragraph and story he tells.

Again, I'm totally fine with the affiliation/relationship, would rather just have it out in the open so that I don't have reservations about everything else posted by Hank. He obviously can make some very cool contributions to the board.

The following users liked this post:
WaltNYC (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 07:52 AM
TReK

Thanks Hank.

You should have bartered services for product and kept the tax authorities out of it!

Very cool trip and great pics. Please continue to contribute to the board.