Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Picking up my first Rover...what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up my first Rover...what to look for?

Hey everyone, Ive been searching the forum a good bit and like it a lot so far. Tons of great info! Im picking up my first Rover tomorrow and im super excited. Im coming over from the Jeep world. The Disco im getting is a 95 V8, fully loaded with 147K miles on it. My buddy is a Land Rover mechanic and is going with me to give it a once over, to make sure im not buying a severe headache. So once I get it home, what should be my first maintenance? Im thinking oil change and I know it needs the brakes done. Is there anything else I should double check, replace or look into? Im 95% positive the heads have been done already. Thanks everyone, I'll post pictures when its home.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Overlanding

My 96 I just picked up it was stuck in diff lock. Go threw the 4x4 setting n make sure the go in and out nice. Youtube "diff lock last stand"

Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Rock Crawling

Here's a thread that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about Disco "issues" -

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...scovery-59036/

I'm not sure if the link will work, but you can search on "what doesn't work your discovery", or look for it about 3 pages back. This was a long thread about problems people have had with their Discos. It's very informative, if a little depressing !

Old 06-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Three Wheeling

awesome, thank you guys. I know my friend is going to spend all day Saturday looking at the truck, teaching me all about it and showing me the ins and outs. Its great having a Land rover Tech right up the street! Im just trying to do my own research so I dont have to fully rely on him. Its also hard to think "do allll maintenance before mods" haha

Old 06-11-2013, 09:22 PM
4th Gear

The hard part is doing maint first for sure I picked one up about 6 months ago and I'm still doing some here and there. Mine is a 98 with 74000 on the clock, my issues have been more from age than anything. I'm replacing all hoses this week, I've replace a coil pack, alternator, seafaomed gas tank and intake plenum as well as cleaned the throttle body. I've also got a bushing kit I need to start putting on, and still have fluids to change in the running gear, it's alot of work but once ur done, then u can worry about the fun stuff and hopefully no serious mechanical issues.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

pull up the carpets and behold the rust, cargo area and front foot wells

if the heads are done find out if the rad was cleaned and rodded, get a good water temp gauge the stock is crap
change all fluids since they either never been done or are incorrect type

there is a "new to you maintenance" thread in the disco1 tech section