Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A pillar or roof rack, and rear cargo door leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam95disco
I wonder how much better would our trucks be if toyota made them? In the 90s toyota's trucks were built like tanks.
That would be nice. However, If I didn't have to work on the D1 (still need a name for her) I would be lost in life and have to spend more time with the wifey. Not that it's a bad thing. But the D1 is my mistress and the wifey knows it lol.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Winching
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Sam95disco
I wonder how much better would our trucks be if toyota made them? In the 90s toyota's trucks were built like tanks.
No, I disagree, after having owned one and a few friends owned a few as well. They were just as bad as the 80's, just shinier and rounder in their designs. Certain parts perhaps were better build quality, but overall not so good with the metal they used, and the way they bent and spot welded bits.

A bit off topic, but fun anyways

Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by archaeology_student
No, I disagree, after having owned one and a few friends owned a few as well. They were just as bad as the 80's, just shinier and rounder in their designs. Certain parts perhaps were better build quality, but overall not so good with the metal they used, and the way they bent and spot welded bits.

A bit off topic, but fun anyways
My 4runner tipped over on the drivers side, has over heated( rad neck had a crack). It has 240k, I have not changed any major parts to it, the ac and all five windows work fine. No fluid leaks anywhere. That's why a 90s tacoma 4x4 are hard to come by, people always ask a lot for them. Cause its worth it. Toyota 90s cars and trucks are some of the best made. Land cruiser will go for 10k with 150k+miles.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

ok I have removed and sealed the hell out of the roof rack and ripped out the floor insulation.

now today with the rain I pulled the pass front carpet and there is fresh water coming in, I am starting to thing that the base of the a pillars are rotted through to the inside and water is simply draining into the body instead of onto the ground, this is where the front sunroof drains go to, I am still without heads so the vehicle is stationary

Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There are like 5 different places that could be causing water ingress in the footwell.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

well I had the carpets out the other day and ran water constant for a half hour with a garden hose on the front sunroof and windshield which also covers the giant gutter at the bottom of the windshield, no water in the truck

I am open to suggestions

Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Take off the plastic cowl ends that cover the hood hinges. If youre careful, you should be able to remove and re-install them without removing the hood. Check the areas uncovered for rust holes. I had 2 dime sized holes rusted out of both lower windshield corners.

Take off the plastic covers on the sides of the footwells. Check my rust thread to see the nonsense that can go on here. The major pain is that support bar. I sealed up the entire thing as best I could, but heavy rain will still give a tiny trickle from that on both sides of the vehicle. Comes in through a little seam near the dash mounts.

My solution for that and the rear door leak was to buy a $10 pack of ShamWow. I Folded nicely, then put them in an "L" shape at point where the leak hits the floor such that half is under the carpet foam and half sticks out the top to allow for evaporation. Does that make sense?

Anyway, if you can get your leaks to a minor level, the ShamWow has been a decent, cheap, semi-permanent solution.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

thanks pinky, I will check em out something to add to the list ugh

Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

No prob

Also, a door removal tool or flathead screwdriver helps to shoehorn the cowl ends back under the rubber windshield finisher.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

well pinky mine was nowhere near as bad as your pics but when I removed the fenders today I was able to find some rust through on the lower sides of the firewall, they are now cleaned and sealed so I am gonna hope for the best next rain

Quick Reply: A pillar or roof rack, and rear cargo door leak?